Dec 16, 2005

Mystery Solved

Christmas wafted in while I was having sushi. Dan brought me mall sushi last night and an evergreen candle from the expensive candle store. We lit it the candle and mixed wasabi into soy sauce and there it was, Christmas drifting up my nose. It truly was the bit I’d been missing, it’s the smell that kicks it all off for me. This is the first year we’ve not had a real tree. Mystery solved, now you can all go back to worrying about world peace and WMDs now.

In an unrelated note, look at my 2 year old pretending to be a teenager. I took the picture and then realized that it may not be that far off before she’s embarrassed to kiss me in front of her friends and we aren’t bestest buddies anymore. Right now she needs me to keep her heart from hurting when she feels sad and I need her for – well, the same. We have never spent more than a few hours apart and when I see something cool I yell, “Hey Ella, come here and see this!” When she sees something cool she says “Mom, what is that?” Ella and I are symbiotic. This too shall pass and I wonder if it will actually break my heart as much as it does to imagine that I won’t always get to be her best friend.

6 comments:

BoomBoom said...

You do always get to be her Mommy, which I believe is much better than being her best friend. Best friends come and go, but Mommy is forever.

Abigail's almost 11 and she still kisses me goodbye and says "I love you", even in front of her friends. That doesn't necessarily go away too quickly (although I'm sure my time is coming).

We're pretty lucky when you think about it!

Jenny said...

We are

Anonymous said...

My mom's still my bestest friend. You guys have seen it. We're on the phone constantly going "Hey, look at that!" And I can honestly say there has never been a moment in my life when I've been embarrassed by her.

BoomBoom said...

Than you are more than pretty lucky - you are uber lucky!

Jenny said...

Now that I think of it, I was never embarassed by my mom either.

Unknown said...

I have never been embarrased of my Mother, but she's never tried to be my best friend, what she is to me is different, bigger and better than a friend.