Dec 30, 2005

The Beginning of the End

Ella and I were in the tub this morning having a discussion about babies and little girls. We have decided that Ella is a little girl now because:

1. She can talk
2. She can get her shoes on by herself
3. She doesn’t have a bottle

Naturally I steered to the topic of mommy’s milk. I told Ella that since she’s a little girl now that she could probably say bye-bye to mommy’s milk. She nodded and waved bye-bye. We talked about how if we say bye-bye to mommy’s milk we could maybe get a new baby at our house (there’s some biology/timing issues here). She was very excited about this idea exclaiming “Ella want new baby at house!”
We went on with our bath; washing hair and playing with beloved Ducky and Peoplepottomus. When Ella absent mindedly had a sip of milk (mommy’s milk) I asked her if she still wanted mommy’s milk even though she was a little girl and do you know what she did… she spit it out. My heart simultaneously leapt and broke. She’ll be two soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

~sniffle~

~sob~

BoomBoom said...

This morning after Abigail tried on her new shirt from visiting Aunt Sara, I had to tell her to put on a bra due to the fact I could see her budding chest right through it.

This brought me to the exciting yest pained realization she's no longer a little girl, but a young lady.

Jenny said...

It's too scary. We'll have to make up some kind of right of passage. Perhaps we'll take her hunting and sit in a sweat lodge or pierce our bottom lips with shards of glass and put plates in there.

or maybe we should just invite her along to a (tame) Casserole dinner one day. We'll give her a Casserole name and all the advice about adolesence we can think of.

You just let us know when she's ready for the company of women and we'll do our best set a good example of "women out on the town, having fun".

Table4Five said...

That's a really sweet story! And there could be news about a new baby soon?

Thanks for the suggestion about the Lansinoh. I never thought to use it on the baby, but it makes sense.

Anonymous said...

This is making me too sad. No more stories about this. Plus almost 2 is still a baby in MY book. ;)

Jenny said...

After the rest of the afternoon, she may not be giving up as soon as I thought. A good slow weening will make us both happy.

I wish there could be news of a new baby soon. You see as long as I still nurse I do not have a cycle and as long as there is no cycle there is no egg and well you know the rest of the story.