May 24, 2006

Extolling the Virtues of a Poriferan Encephalon*

Remember when I wrote about how Ella and I weren’t speaking the same language anymore, well it was a phase. Recently she has developed the superior ability to pronounce words like “Madagascar” and string together sentences like “Mother, I need to watch Madagascar again because it makes me amazingly happy.” No joke on that one. People have stopped me in the grocery store to tell me they never expected such a small child to enunciate such big words. Well, actually they say things like “Wow, she can talk good!” or “Was that you or her talking?” to which I usually respond “She’s the only one I have to talk to all day” and they laugh and nod, but I’m not really kidding.

We used to go to the
Discovery Center on Thursdays or occasionally we’d run errands on a Tuesday and lunch with Dan at McDonald’s but since gassing up the van too often may require us to eat tuna and ramen noodles for the week, we have relinquished our little field-trips for closer expeditions; places like the amazing back yard, or the incredible front yard and sometimes we even walk to the park up the street. This proximity revolution has replaced my latte & Dan with ice cream & Ella and so I taught her to converse. It turns out that toddlers like learning new words and using them. Who’d have thought?

It entertains me to no end to hear Ella spring new words on Dan. Often in the evening Dan says “Do you know your daughter just told me that potato chips aren’t healthy for my metabolism?” or “Ella says Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. Did you teach her that?” and I respond “No, she must’ve read it somewhere.”












If the video does not display properly
click here to upgrade to Flash 8




PS Thank you to the
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual for the inspiration for this post.

*ode to spongy brain




16 comments:

BoomBoom said...

So when Sugar exclaims, "Ooo wan ooo pay wif me", can I consider that intellectual?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

An inspiration! I love it! Unless of course, that was pure sarcasm ...
Regardless, my kid says things like "Marmosets are monkeys but not all monkeys are marmosets." I think the checkout girl at the supermarket almost died ... it may have been because she thought marmoset was something else, though.

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

A BIG OLD BAG OF BLUEJEANS!
That so made my day - excellent!

Dawn said...

I also am most fond of "I'm a big old bag of blue jeans" which I feel you should trademark RIGHT NOW, before Gap gets ahold of it...

Jenny said...

Ah "Big Ol Bag of Bluejeans" is from a Justin Roberts song. She adores this man's music and I like it too. He sounds alot like James Taylor to me. Go visit
http://www.justinroberts.org/ and hear some.

Jenny said...

Tater Tot - Sugar Lips is the most socially brilliant child I know, and as a bonus he lets Ella hit him with a tennis racket and still likes her!

Jenny said...

An inspiration! I love it! Unless of course, that was pure sarcasm ...

No sarcasm - go read her post people, it's very funny. Oh and sad, yes sad. It's called "A Mombot Encounter". I was both horrified and entertained. I think I've met those same ladies.

noncommon said...

what a charmer. i want a big ol bag of blue jeans - assumng they would all fit! isn't it an amazing thing when you first start to communicate with your child- verbally! i remember that with the boys. i'm so looking forward to it again with roxy. but just wait till she starts talking back to you! HA!

Jo said...

Sorry to disagree, but I have to say that it is probably a combination of your daughter being brillant AND your excellent conversational skills. You will just have to accept the fact that your daughter is a genuis and move on...

BoomBoom said...

That's why we hang out with the Bombadee's so often. We are hoping to get smarter by osmosis.

Jenny said...

Osmosis - Yeah that's how I learned all those big words, by sleeping next to Mr. Smart Guy.

Jenny said...

Yeah, Mr. Bombadee is super smart. I mean like totally really really really smart. (yes, 3 reallys and a totallys worth!)

Anonymous said...

what a smarty pants! metabolism?!!

Java Junkie said...

First of all you just made my day, I'm grinning from ear to ear. Even Monkey, who has the day off today, was chuckling over at his computer while I played Ella on mine... Twice.

Lou had an amazing vocabulary when he was little. When he was 6 he tested at an 8th grade vocabulary. 8TH GRADE!! Part of that was because I never used "little" words simply because I was talking to a little person. He also witnesses first hand my uninhibited way of asking what a word means when I'm unfamiliar with it, which he quickly picked up.

Parker, on the other hand, is 17 months old and doesn't really say a word. Once in awhile he'll say "Daddy" or "Momma" in a way that makes you think that he knows what he's talking about. Two days ago he climbed up on my lap, said "Momma boob" and proceeded to give me a purple nurple! I had to quit breastfeeding him when he was a month old because of medication I needed to take (amongst other reasons) so it's not like he sees or hears those words but for the three days prior, every time I got him out of his crib he would pinch my "girls" and I'd say "Ow! Don't pinch Mamma's boobies please."

Jenny said...

He'll probably spout full sentences one day.

Java Junkie said...

Yeah, we're convinced he can talk, he just doesn't want to. A week ago he said "gonna getcha" to his big brother who was chasing him around the house. :)