May 19, 2006

What really matters to moms

Last night I sat reading “Parenting” magazine. Their tag line is “What really matters to moms” I used to like to read this fluff once in a while but I can’t hardly digest it anymore. It didn’t help that Dan was watching the Colbert Report at the same time, so in my peripheral consciousness I was hearing news items. It went like this:

June 2006 Parenting

Reality Check - Do clothes make the mom?
Some of the fashion-conscious mothers at my kindergartner’s school made jokey comments about my clothes
Libya… I feel pressure to dress up for morning drop off Gaddafi… Should I? Prison camps...

Wondering what to get you your child’s teacher for and end of the year gift?
Apple
motif…Palestinians…department store… Middle East… impressive present…
President Bush...

Your Time - The Joy of Shopping
Grown up break…
Zacharias Musawi…cute sandles…Death Penalty...

Your health
When not to diet…
Rape...

This is when I had to put the magazine away and sit still for a moment…

“What really matters to moms” is what it said.

Go read Bitch PHD today, it'll matter to you.



6 comments:

noncommon said...

isn't it good to have the right perspective? but, the diversion of trivial shit is what keeps us all form losing our mind. the pain is too much. there HAS to be stupidity and vanity and shallowness and ignorance and wastefulness and all those other icky qualities. unfortunately. we need that to keep fighting the good fight. it's a necessary evil. (shaking head with disappointment)

Dawn said...

There was this one time when the hub wanted to get romantic adn CNN was on and all I could hear was the guy talking about the rape of Serbian women. Really killed the mood.

Jo said...

No,no! That is not what the guest worker thing is supposed to be! I feel like a little child, fooled by something that looked real, but was fake indeed. I am so disappointed, although grateful to you for pointing it out. Sigh...

Jenny said...

I know, and my most beloved Senator (Dick Durbin) is supporting the guest worker program. Perhaps I need to read the article in full, perhaps we can implement it in the way it is intended and without all the abuses – it all makes me very edgy, this talk about national pride and homeland and our righteousness.

Jenny said...

Cameo - I know, reading The Catcher in the Rye this week just fueled the fire

Jessi Louise said...

Wouldn't it be scary if that was what really mattered to all moms? There would be all these Betty Crocker type ladies running around with shopping bags while the world falls apart around them and they never stop smiling...