May 23, 2006

Evolution

Most of you know that I was an artist at one time but have never seen anything I've created (aside from this bloggy stuff). So instead of funny blurbs about child rearing and my sporadic political rant or rare housewife breakdown, you‘ll now on occasion be subject to photos of my art.

You may wonder where the artist in me went… when I used to make art for a living it went in a direction that wore me out. I was pretty successful, making album art, painting motorcycle tanks, designing tattoos, teaching an art class and doing court room sketches. Here’s the thing – one can only paint sooo many skulls, naked fairies and dragons before one is ready to strangle a biker, teachers make diddly-squat and I told you all about the court room thing. So I quit, I took an office job in sales and became wildly successful at that. Made tons of money and sketched things in my journal.

It’s been about 10 years since I held any paintbrush besides the one that comes with the hard little crayola ovals. I haven't missed it, but I want to get back to it. I have a giant canvas I built in college and I hate the painting currently on it, so I need to repair the canvas and buy about a gallon of gesso and find a subject. This one will probably end up a landscape. I feel an Illinois countryside landscape in me.


Sketch 1 - Boy eating sushi

14 comments:

BoomBoom said...

"Most of you know that I was an artist at one time"

Not quite dear friend, being an artist is not something one WAS but someting one IS.

You are.

Jenny said...

Aha! We could argue about the definition of 'artist' but I will clarify by saying that I haven't created a painting for profit or fun in years and Thank You.

BoomBoom said...

Oooo....Ooooo....I haven't had a good argument in awhile.

Are you an elitist art snob who disqualifies scrapbooking, stenciling, stamping and other such crafty practices as "real art"?

BoomBoom said...

Oh yeah....new profile pic. I got tired of looking at my own face so much.

Jenny said...

Hell, I don't even count Jackson Pollock as a real artist.

If he is than so are scrapbookers.



Seriously - I'm not sure what defines an artist.

Jenny said...

person whose creative work shows sensitivity and imagination
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Artist is a subjective term which describes a person creative in, innovative in, or adept at, their endeavors.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist

refers to a person who creates one of a kind objects that communicate information concerning the creator and the context.
www.kuce.org/isc/previews/vae530INT/concepts.html

"Artist" means a practitioner in the arts, generally recognized as a professional by critics and peers, who produces works of art and who is not the architect or an employee of the architectural firm retained by the contracting agency. [1989, c. 912, §2 (amd).]
janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/27/title27sec452.html

Jenny said...

I was thinking of changing my pic too. I'm on a search for a new one - as of now.

BoomBoom said...

Ok...

1. Your assuming I know who Jackson Pollock is...I'll Google him next.

2. My perspective on "art": if my two-year-old swipes a burnt sienna crayon across a piece of paper...I call it art.

3. I've got a great pic of your coin slot to use with your profile if you're interested.

Jenny said...

It'll probably take me all summer to find a new pic.

noncommon said...

you are an artist. and so am i. and so is the elephant who swashes a paintbrush. it's all subjective and relative. your art is tactile, mine is movement. but they're both creative, and expressive, and reflective of who we are at the moment they are created. you know this! even art for business sake is still art. it requires talent and skill. whip out that gesso and brush. the landscape is reflecting who you are at this moment. go for it! and post more of your stuff!

Jenny said...

I know - I am also a lover of FOUND magazine and it is full of art that was accidental.

http://www.foundmagazine.com/

punkymom said...

No it will be a pic of a girl at the beach playing in the sand?!

Jenny said...

Still thinking about that one. I didn't forget you punky mom.

Jo said...

You are so dang talented. I can make fuzzy sheep, but can't draw anything beyond a stick figure. Keep working on it.