May 13, 2006

Over the Hills and Through the Woods

Today we are headed up I-90 to my Grandpa & Grandma's cabin in Wisconsin. It’s a three hour drive so bring something to do in the car. I can't wait for you all to meet them. Grandpa's kinda like Santa Clause crossed with Baby Face Nelson he'll tell you dirty jokes that start with "A Priest and a gopher walk into a bar.." and he says phrases like "see here, pal" but he will entertain any kind of fun you propose including axe throwing which I learned when I was 8 on his suggestion. My Grandma is a nurse and at the forefront of the woman’s movement since the 1940s and leading the fight for equal rights for seniors since the 1980s. She’s that lady that went back to college at 65 before she started her 4th career, Grandma accepts no excuses. None.

They are democrats who walk the talk. They drive a Hybrid car, grown their own fruits and veggies, trade with local farmers for milk, eggs, and meat, recycle everything and send money to their sponsored families in Mexico and Sudan. They do the crossword every morning, cook everything from scratch and cocktails will start at 5:00pm. Grandpa only buys the good booze (he says he has not enough time left in life for a hang over - he's 79) so I encourage you to have one, but not too many because we’ll be going to church with them in the morning. They have an “exchange priest” – I believe he’s from Africa or maybe they have a new fella now and he’s from India, I’m sure well get to meet him all up close and personal when Grandma introduces us to half the congregation.

Did you remember your mosquito spray?

5 comments:

Java Junkie said...

I love your grandparent's! What a wonderful place to be in at ANY age (although to think of an 8 year old throwing axes makes me cringe - but at least Ella's never got to worry for her safety with her axe throwin' mommy around ;)

Give them both a huge hug from us over here and have the best time ever (P.S. eating a dinner heavy in onions and garlic will work better than any mosquito spray but opt for citrinella candles if you'd like Dan to still want to kiss ya ;) )

noncommon said...

i wanna go with you! it sounds like sheer bliss. how lucky you are!

Milo said...

Your grandparents sound like the kind of people I want my wife and I to be when we grow up. Enjoy your Mother's Day, but you can keep the bugs. *smirk*

Lynne@Oberon said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Grandparents are the best - mine sound like they may be cut from the same cloth as yours :)
Enjoy your Mother's Day!

Jenny said...

I'll tell you all about it on Monday