Apr 18, 2006

The Owlhaven Challenge

Owlhaven proposed this as the Monday Challenge and I think it’s an awesome idea and I am anxiouse to see the results. I encourage you to go participate.

she writes: “So here's your challenge. Take three photos in your home that are reflections of YOU! What small items or small areas do you have in your home that makes your home your own? What shows your personality?Post your photos with explanations on your blog by Tuesday evening and put the link in my comments section. Wednesday morning I'll look at all the entries and choose one that I think shows the MOST personality or is the most interesting.”

So here are my three:
















Sitting on this 1950s ‘office trash’ rescued desk is my beautiful computer monitor/flat panel TV. My dearest husband gave it to me on our ninth wedding anniversary last year and it was totally unexpected. Sitting on the right side of my desk seemingly glowing in the sunlight is a plain brown mug of instant coffee; it’s from a set of 12 that I inherited from my grandparents. To the left of my monitor is the crossword, I use a mechanical pencil. On top of the half finished crossword is one of Ella’s blue hair ties and sitting just behind perched on top of two cigar boxes filled with received greeting cards and my Renoir Stationary is my old journal/sketch book. I’ve always left it out for anyone to read, but it’s dusty because I blog now. On top of that are a framed photo of Dan and Ella, a giant rubber-band ball and some African Violets my dear friend AW sent me last time I had a cold. There’s a tiny patch of spackle on the wall in the back and that reminds me how much work there is to do on our turn of the century building and underneath the desk is a box of receipts I am entering for my Dad’s business.

***

















Here is a corner of our library were you can find lots of books including the King James Bible, Al Quaran, the Tanakh, four different dictionaries, two diffrenet thesauruses, lots of sci-fi and classic novels, a few trashy beach novels, photo albums, board games and even a bowl of Mardi Gras beads all in no particular order. The teal reading chair was bought on E-bay the tricycle belongs to you know who and on the end table you’ll find Buddha.


***

















This is my Hearth and perhaps the most symbolic photo of all. I’ll just list for you what I see:
-My Grandparent’s stove rescued from their basement after their passing
-Dan’s apron
-Sunny wind chimes brought back from FL from a friend
-Little elephant door bells so I can hear when people are walking in
-Well used white enamel tea pot - wedding present
-Muffin pan, pasta pots, a wok and a Casserole dish
-Chinese coins hanging out to dry on the pot rack for good luck
-A cast iron egg skillet
-Soy sauce, vegetable oil, Garlic, Salt & Pepper
-The floor Dan and I installed together
-The broom I rode in on

-Rag rug
-Cheery yellow paint
-Step stool

11 comments:

BoomBoom said...

I don't think I've got to tell you witch of these items means the most to me.

owlhaven said...

Fun pix!! Thanks so much for playing!

Mary, mom to many

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your house. MJ thinks it's the bomb. (I gotta stop being so street, huh?) It's so cozy, despite it's size and you ALWAYS feel comfortable.

Anonymous said...

Those are some cool spots. I need to set up a place in the house that feels like it's *mine.*

Jenny said...

Thanks, We are very aware of how easy it would be to seem uncozy.
(is that even a word?) and KTJ, I love your streety-ness it makes you da sickest chickapooke on da West side. WERD!

Lei said...

And I like your kitchen! :)

It has a fun, eclectic flair... jealous about the library, I might add!

Jenny said...

Thanks, the library exsisted the moment Dan and I were married and put our book collections together.

Now making it pretty? That's something we're still working on.

Jo said...

I LOVE your library. I want a whole room with nothing but bookcases someday. Glad you like my tech-chic hair, I thought it looked hideous, and my classmates made sure I knew they hated it too. 14 is so not a good age...

Jenny said...

Hi Jo - so glad you stopped for a peek. I'm looking forward to reading more from you.

She's got a great style folks

http://tangled-me.blogspot.com/

and definitely something unique to say.

Lynne@Oberon said...

Do you really have a real library room? Wow! In my mind's dream house I have a library which houses books of all sorts, board games, jigsaw puzzles, and large comfy chairs touched by shards of light coming in through the large windows. Yours looks like that! I covet it.

Jenny said...

Yeah, we really have a library. Lots of books, board games, large wooden tables with misc. books piled on them big comfy hand carved couch and a fancy backgammon set, a wooden horse rocker for Ella, giant windows with no curtains and piles of old oil paintings in the corner, some mine and some collected. We used to have an oriental rug too but the dog wouldn't stop doing bad things to it so I had to throw it out last summer. My step dad has an antique piano for us that will go in there but it's going to be a project getting it moved in, repaired and tuned.

Really, when Dan & I married we had an instant library. We are both suckers for used books. If I go to a garage sale or book sale and see a box of books for $10.00, guaranteed I will buy it. Now the real amazing thing is Dan will READ most of them. I usually peruse the reference books and add some to the stack that “I plan to read” and then loan some out.

I also can’t stand to see books thrown out. Friends of ours moved to Ireland and had limited space to take their household, books are heavy and offered to let me peruse the collection and take what I wanted – you guessed it, I took every last one (thank you Olivia, some of the essays by women writers were great, I finally read some last year).