Apr 27, 2006

Just Passing the Time

From April 13th 1999 while I was working in Chicago I wrote:

…We were just trying to pass the time hanging around behind the office sitting on the stoop smoking cigarettes when I asked "What is the tastiest sounding number between one and ten?" Joe said “Why, eight of course duh!” and Shell said “I think two; you know tea for two and all.” Muey tilted his head they way he does when he’s really thinking hard and then said in his thick Polish accent “I know," and we all looked at Muey when he presented five, but it wasn’t just a regular old five like I pronounce it. It was a slow deliberate thick and delectable “Ffhhivvvah” like a magnificent and mysterious Polish delicacy dripping with honey. When he said it, his eyes closed a little as if he was thinking of this magnificent dish and he actually savored the word as he spoke it. We agreed that afternoon “five” was the tastiest sounding number…



***

Go visit Tater-Tot today and see how adorable my little buddy Sugar Lips' new hair cut is!

6 comments:

noncommon said...

oh i totally get what you're saying.

Jenny said...

Can you imagine how bored you have to be to have that conversation - Much less blog about it?

Jenny said...

I supose there is also a lesson in delivery here. ?"It's all in how you present it"?

noncommon said...

i love random, no-point conversations. i have them. not as often as i'd like, but when i do, they're a little spark of fun to reflect back on. oh! like you're doing. no no, nothing boring about it. yes, delivery is key.

Anonymous said...

I loved that snippet. I can almost taste that five now.

Anonymous said...

i was totally with you, and thought 8 before i read it. but after that description of 5, i have to agree. 5 it is!