Apr 17, 2006

Baby Bongo Bird

The Easter Bunny came to our house yesterday morning just before the thunder storm and when Ella woke up she said “The Easter Bunny was loud”. Upon going downstairs, she was then faced the excruciating decision of peeing in the potty or filling her Easter basket with candy. She decided on candy but not without much frustration and lament, poor kid.

















The Easter Bunny also brought her a little Doctor Kit. Ella examined each piece as she took it out of the little case; stethoscope first – “Mom let me hear your chest” she patiently asked, “Let me see in your ear” gently looking in my ear “Good job, Mom” as she patted my back, and next scissors “I’m gonna cut your hairs now” tenderly brushing my bangs aside she tilted my chin down and pretended to cut the back, Dan exclaimed “KTJ would be so proud!” and snapped this picture.



















We finally made it to the breakfast table where Dan and I ate cinnamon rolls and coffee and Ella ate a whole chocolate bunny. And while she bounced about the house in a chocolate caffeinated fervor, I read My Beloved Monster & Me, an agnostic who talks about difficulties explaining Easter to his kid:

“I guess the big difference is that Christmas celebrates hope and peace and harmony and good stuff that even us heathens can get behind. Easter's harder to explain. "Yeah, we killed Jesus, but he didn't hold it against us, and then he turned into a zombie, the Greatest Zombie of All, and so we play with rabbits and chickens and eat chocolate eggs. Any questions?"”

This brings up the question, what exactly will we tell Ella about Easter? Dan and I agreed not to think about it until it’s upon us. It’s hard enough explaining Easter eggs. Ella took one bite of yolk at lunch and exclaimed “Mom, It’s a
baby bongo bird in there!” to which I sputtered “Well, yes, it’s kind of a baby bird in there, but not really it’s actually a yolk or more of a yellow egg part, yes, that’s it. It’s the yellow part of the egg called the yolk and the baby bird lives in... It’s just a yolk honey.” And Ella said “No, Mommy it’s a baby bongo bird” And then she ate it.


2 comments:

Table4Five said...

Happy Easter to you too! Ella's got some crazy hair going in the first photo, doesn't she?!

I'd also like to thank you, quite seriously, for the link to "My Beloved Monster & Me". Once I clicked over and started reading, I couldn't stop. I just spent about an hour reading about Schuyler, with tears in my eyes and a big lump in my throat. I wish Rob still lived in Michigan so I could drive to his house and hug him, his wife, and Schuyler. What an amazing family they are.

Jenny said...

OMG Erin - Jack's Big Music Show is like juice around here - not a day goes by without it. They have a great webpage including games and videos at www.noggin.com.


Elizabeth - Let's hope his book comes out soon so we can buy it and make them all rich. - Glad you liked it.

PS That's regular old Ella bed head, that's what it's like every morning and now you know why we bought stock in cream-rinse.