Nov 21, 2005

Wish me luck folks

I’m starting to stress out. We are hosting Thanksgiving this year for both sides of the family. Did I just hear you spit your coffee out and ask me if I’m crazy? It’ll be dinner for 19 adults and 2 toddlers. I do have two kitchens but they are on separate floors so it’s not very helpful. The great shopping trip of the century will take place today. I’ll be trying to find the cheapest squash while dodging angry house-wives and rebounding Ella back into the cart. I’m tempted to take C-A-N-D-Y with me just to keep her busy. And yes, I must spell it, even on the blog as she can sense when I’m thinking of it and will scream and kick her feet while lying on the floor until I give her some. I think I'm going to have to go to two different stores. One store is giving a ham away with every turkey and the other has produce so fresh you can still taste the vitamins.

We spent a good portion of the weekend re-arranging and cleaning and I’m still only half done. Thank god my mom is coming early Thursday to help with cooking and entertaining Ella. Mom has seen my house at its worst, its Dan’s siblings that have me unnerved. I nearly drove his sister to insanity one dinner at our place after I announced “we don’t do dishes till after the party is over”. She nervously looked at the stack of dishes in the kitchen every ten seconds until she could take no more and despite my protests went into my kitchen and washed them. Wish me luck folks.


Things I'm thankful for today:
(Besides the happiness and health of my family and friends...etc)

Coffee
Mr. Bubble Bubble Bath
My little space heater
Sunshine
NPR
Monday Blogging

5 comments:

BoomBoom said...

I must drive you crazy at my house when you guys come over. While we are in the kitchen chatting afer dinner, I am always rinsing plates, loading my dishwasher, washing the counter.

Even Michelle once told me I'm a little crazy when it comes to my kids picking up (harsh words for her).

I can't help it you know, it's the way I was made.

That would be a good learning experience for me. The next time we have all you guys over, I will refrain from all picking up and dishes until after you leave...just to assure myself the sky will not fall in, nor will I explode.

By the way, yes I am already anxious just thinking about it.

Jenny said...

I think the difference is your kitchen is open to the dinning room where we are all sitting and the party can continue. My kitchen is quite removed from the rest of the house. I refuse to leave the party to go and do dishes for half an hour by myself. I do try and clear the table but that’s as far as it goes. In fact sometimes I leave the dishes till morning (gasp!)

Jane said...

Wash dishes? What's that?

I do feel for you. I'm thankful for my very small very quiet Thanksgiving with my immediately family and Grandpa this year. We're having pasta.

One of my most vivid childhood memories is every year during the big family get together, when my Martyr Aunt would refuse everybody's help with cooking or dishes, then whine about how much work she was doing.

Anonymous said...

I'm having a major stress attack -- we're doing Thanksgiving too and then Christmas shortly thereafter. I'm feeling like I have nothing done. Yikes!

I do the dishes while people are still over -- but mostly because that's my chance to escape. So I refuse a lot of help, but I like it that way. Gives me a break from all the peeps.

Jenny said...

We'll have three Birthdays on or around thanksgiving. (Mom, Grandpa, Sister in law) I shudder to think of what comes after Thanksgiving...

Office X-mas Party
G-ma's Birthday
X-mas Eve
X-mas Day
Brother's B-day
Husband's extended family X-mas
New Years Eve
New Years Day
Ella's 2nd Birthday

Next year I'm going to travel over the holidays instead.