Nov 1, 2005

Pricker Pete

Ella and I carved pumpkins in the afternoon yesterday. We had the following conversation:

Me: “I’m going to open this pumpkin!”
Ella: “Open pah-kin?”
Me: “Yes, I’m going to open it and then we can scoop the guts out.”
Ella: “Scoop gutzs?”
Me: “Yep. Hrmmmmf, grrrrp… arrrrrg.” After much struggling I finally get the pumpkin open “Look at that puny, wanna get some guts out?”
Ella: “Icky part.”
Me: “Yeah, it’s kinda icky, want to scoop some out?” as I am scooping
Ella: “Nah – icky part” she gets down from her chair and leaves to go play

I scooped and carved what I believe to be thickest pumpkin ever. I'm sure Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater kept his wife in a pumpkin shell like this.
















When Trick-or-treating came Ella was all dressed and practiced. She’d been walking around all day saying “Nah-nah-knock! Pricker Pete!” When we reached the first house Ella’s “Pricker Pete” couldn’t be found, in fact all cute phrases in general hid in the back of the van. “See ya wayder” peeped out the window once in a while and I think “Thank you” stayed at home altogether. Ella had much more fun handing out candy from our house and it wasn’t long before “Pricker Pete” found his way home. Standing on the front porch awaiting the next bunch of monsters and princesses coming down the sidewalk, Ella would yell as loud as she could “Hey! Pricker Pete!”

The yellow boots were not part of her butterfly costume but I wasn't going to wrestle her out of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Ella and Willow are kindred spirits; Willow wore red rainboots with her bat costume. Very cute. Happy Halloween.