Nov 10, 2005

Stationed in Iraq














November 10, 2005

SGT Thompson, Benjamin
1st Tank Bn, TOW plt
Unit 41671
FPO AP 96426-1671

Dear Ben,
Last night we went and saw the movie Jarhead. Crap it was good. It wasn’t for or against war it was just snap shot of one Marine’s very frustrating experience during Desert Storm. So of course Dan and I thought of you. We talked for some time about what to send you. I’ve decided to send you a reminder of what things here are like right now.

As I walk out into the back yard the crisp autumn air sneaks right down into my collar. It’s not cold enough yet for my breath to be seen but it is cold enough to be wearing my favorite old wool sweater. I put Ella down in the long grass. It’s too long and dotted with crunchy leafs but it has stopped growing since it frosted last week so there’s no use in mowing. Ella runs out to the swing-set that Mrs. Smith from up the street passed down to us. Her grandkids are too cool to be caught dead on a swing much less the little blue plastic slide attached to it besides you can’t swing in a Paris Hilton skirt – it’s un-lady like. Ella doesn’t know anything about that yet and yells “Fwing Mommy! Poosh Ella? Poosh Ella?” I put her into the toddler swing and give her a push. Behind her the neighbor’s Maple tree has turned fiery orange. A color that people don’t expect to see in nature or maybe only in deep exotic coral reefs, but there it is school bus orange painted across a blue sky. It’s startling and amazing almost worth giving up warm summer days for.

Tonight will be the Indians’ chance to advance in the playoffs. The town is buzzing with it, there are homemade purple and yellow signs all over and earlier today a parade of cars decorated with soap and streamers drove through town with cheerleaders hanging out the windows and honking the whole way. We stepped out on the front porch and waved at the cars and the other neighbors who had stepped out to witness the commotion. Ella is still waving at every car that goes by thinking they will honk and cheer with her.

I give her a big push in the swing and sit down in the chilly lawn furniture to do the crossword and drink my reheated coffee. She gleefully tips her head back and discovers something special and new to her “Momma birdzzs!” “Yes, sweetie those are geese and they are flying south for the winter. She mumbledee-petes what I just said managing to get out a clear “Winter!” at the end. I say “Birdies are going bye bye honey.” This she immediately understands and repeats clearly, I look back to my crossword. Somewhere in the neighborhood there is a dog barking, at a squirrel no doubt. The squirrels are storing up hickory nuts and acorns right now, running hither and thither out into traffic and across the power lines, little tails teasing fenced dogs all over the place.

Somewhere in the neighborhood there is a fireplace burning what I think I recognize as oak. It’s a shame they don’t let people burn leaves any more, I understand that it isn’t nice for people with asthma but I miss the smell just the same. Once in a while when I’m driving through farm country, past all the cut corn stalks and freshly empty fields, someone will be out smoldering leaves in the ditch. I always crack the window a little and take in as much of the familiar old autumn smell as I can. Perhaps Ella will think that autumn smells like the first time you turn on your furnace and all the dust burns off, or perhaps I can impress hot cider into her memory instead.

This is a nice time in the Midwest. It’s exciting to see the landscape change and familiar sweaters come out of the closet. We aren’t yet worried about Christmas shopping and Halloween is out of the way. It’s just football, hockey and Thanksgiving, and that’s what folks talk about in polite conversation. “So, ya cookin’ for everyone?” or the all too common “How bout those Bears/Indians/Packers?” can be heard at any instant in the post office. Sometimes people are so polite around here I bet if you pinched them in the butt they’d apologize for being in the way of your fingers. I’ve never had the nerve to try it though I bet if I dared you – you would.

Wish you were here. Love,
Jenny

PS From my own back yard this summer I found this four leaf clover – I think I need you to have it.

3 comments:

BoomBoom said...

sniff, sniff

Anonymous said...

Great letter. I bet he will really enjoy it because it's so descriptive and will evoke memories of home.

Jenny said...

It occured to me this morning, that Ben might not appreciate mushy drivel and so I'm also enclosing the latest copy of MAD Magazine.