Nov 4, 2005

It Just Makes Me Tired

Here I sit for the Nth day in a row by myself. My husband is having a much deserved and rare night out with his friends. I realize I have loads to be thankful for. I’m not displaced by some horrid natural disaster, all my relatives are alive and safe, no one is trying to mutilate my privates with a sharp rock or broken bottle, nobody is trying to rape the women in my family to punish the men in my family, my husband isn’t in another country fighting a war I don’t support and my marriage is together and happy.

Ok here it comes anyway – my second rant of the day. I'm in some mood huh? That's ok 'cause This blog is about ME and MY feelings, so there!


###

My dear husband is involved in community government. He gets paid very little for what he does and it means so much to him to be able to serve our community. I’m sure he would give his life for another yet he has chosen to serve his country with his brain instead of his body. I am quite proud of what he does and he does it in addition to his 50 hour a week day job.

Even though I wouldn’t change a thing, here’s my complaint. I am sick and tired of people thinking that all politicians are slimy ass holes who are just out for themselves. It's like thinking your local Little League must be on the juice because McGuire's arms are like a gorilla's. Local politicians work their solemn asses off, reading periodicals, hearing complaints, sorting out convoluted law and taking phone calls from Grandpa Crabbass at 7:30 am on a Saturday to go and look at his 2 inch puddle. These same politicians give up evenings with their families to attend committee meetings, write ordinances, go look at how that tree leans over that garage and tour waste water facilities plants just to serve ‘we the people’.

Sometimes he is only home two nights a week and one of those nights he spends doing things like taking the window air conditioner out and mowing the lawn and making sure our ceiling isn’t falling in. This leaves few precious hours for family time. It makes me exhausted in the sense that it is her and me, me and her, her and me all day every day, no breaks. When she falls and skins her knee she only wants mom, when it’s bed time it’s mom, when her tantrum needs to be interpreted it’s mom. When she looks out the window for Dad I have to call him and put him on speaker so his little girl can say to him “Daddies working?” a phrase she knows all to well, it just makes me tired and a little sad. This is the trade we make for our country.

I’m not asking for sympathy. I don’t have to worry about my husband coming home with his leg blown off from a suicide bomber. I get to sleep next to him every night. I’m not even asking for help taking the garbage out – I’m just asking for people to think before they speak. We don’t get out of speeding tickets or get any special parking, in fact we don’t get any special perks. That’s ok, we do it for the same reasons our young people join the armed forces, for the love of country and community, not for the recognition and definitely not for the pay. So, please, just please, don’t kick my husband around just because he’s a politician, he’s out there working for everyone and we here at home miss him.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Two of the most devoted, hard-working, and brilliant men I know are local level politicians, and Mr. Bean is one of them. I couldn't do his job. Not in a million years.

I'm a little bit sad that nobody named "Captain Exciting" has ever visited my blog.

Jenny said...

Thanks folks. I am in a much better mood today. Funny how real coffee (as opposed to instant) can change your whole mood.

Emily said...

Well-said, very very well-said. More power to him and to you and Ella.