Feb 9, 2006

Just Checking

Exchange between Tater Tot and me yesterday:

I saw your blog post and immediately felt guilty that Sugar Lips brought the “ear infection” germ to your house on Sunday. Yeah…we suck…sorry.


You can't catch an ear infection from another kid with an ear infection. You can only catch a cold and then the ear gets infected as a result of the cold. This happens to toddlers because their ear tubes aren't mature enough to be pointing downward and drain down their throats, instead they're up all night jumping on the bed getting hopped up on snot and learning other bad habits. I guess you can't expect much from immature ear tubes. I hope we didn't pass the cold to your family or Sweet Potato and Judo Boy. You don't suck. I'm finding no prevention for ear infections besides never letting Ella catch a cold - Girl in a bubble. How's sugar lips?

He’s good, I think. Mr. Tater Tot called me at 11:30 this morning just to tell me that Sugar Lips had been sitting and crying/whining for an hour and he didn’t know what was wrong. He didn’t ask for anything and everything that Mr. Tater Tot offered was answered with a “nope”. Not really sure why he called to tell me that, since I just said “OK”. Maybe he was going a little crazy and needed to tell someone. Do you ever do that to Dan?

I do it to Dan all the time. I'm sure that the following very frustrating conversation or some variation of it happens at least once a week:

Dan: hello?
Jenny: I just stepped in pee
Dan: Ooookaaay?
Jenny: and we're having our 2nd bath today because of a tragic butter and glitter accident
Dan: hmm.
Jenny: I just wanted to tell you
Dan: Ok? -
Jenny: I'll see you at 5?
Dan: yup, love you
Jenny: love you

Really some days I am just checking to see if anyone cares and some days I am making sure that he isn't planning to escape to Tahiti without me after work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny,
Just read your blog and laughed out loud re the section on calling Dan at work to "discuss" Ella. I routinely phone Chris to say "He broke the vacuum cleaner" or "He wouldn't touch his lunch" ...thought I was the only person to do that!!

Dan sounds like Chris. They know that there is nothing they can say other than "Aha or mmm..right honey." I think when you are at home all day you feel the need to just tell someone what is happening. More the trials and tribulations of dealing with the toddler than the fun stuff but I suppose that is normal. Take care. Hope Ella gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

I think maybe the person that's been home with the kid needs to share some of the "highlights" of the day, partially to share adult conversation. At work you don't feel compelled to tell someone you accidentally stapled your finger (unless you need medical help) or over-nuked your lunch, but when similar minutiae happens with the kids, it's time to share. (I do it with my husband all the time.) ;-)

BoomBoom said...

I can tell Mr. TaterTot that he is a normal parent/partner.

Jenny said...

ewww.

Table4Five said...

I'm sorry, I know you're not well, but "tragic butter and glitter accident" is funny. Until it happens at my house, then not so much.

I have suffered multiple ear infections throughout my life, due to the odd fact that my eustachian tube is still the size and shape of an infant's.

drugstore online said...

liked the good program. there is something to think about ...