Feb 17, 2006

Friday Editorial

Today’s paper has a story about teen blogging in it. The focus is mostly how much information one puts out there. I agree it can be dangerous to publish all your thoughts and feelings and vulnerabilities AND you address and phone and what time your parents are leaving for Jamaica. Probably more prevalent and dangerous is the feelings one can hurt when using your blog for diabolical purposes. Every girl out there knows what it feels like to be left out, but imagine on top of that you happen upon a website that betrays you in a way that breaks your heart. And what can be done? Really, nothing, can’t run to ‘blogger’ and say “That’s not fair! She's just being mean!”. I think we just need to teach our sons and daughters what it means to take the high road and be respectful of others even when we don’t like them, and to do that we must lead by example.

So dear internets "Henceforth, I promise to never intentionally use my blog to secretly make someone else feel bad, or hurt their feelings." aka "If I've got something to say, I'll say it to your face/on your blog."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll make that pledge too. In fact, I sort of did (in a long and more rambling way) on my blog today. ;-)

Bridgermama said...

Now I feel naughty... ;)

Jenny said...

Bridgermama, I believe you didn't write your last post with the intention that your Mother-in-law would read it and feel bad. You were just being honest. There is a vast difference between being snarky and being honest.

One looks like two girls whispering in the hallway while pointing in your direction and the other looks like a woman with furrowed brow on the big leather couch of a Dr. talking out all her problems.

If that makes any sense.

BoomBoom said...

I'm not sure I can live up to this expectation, but I can give it a try. Please think no less of me if I regress to my internal 13-year old neener-neener girl that likes to appear now and again.

Jenny said...

I knew you when you were 13 and I liked you then too.

usa online pharmacy said...

This post is a great resource for so many blog things. Thanks for the info.