Oct 10, 2005

Parental Discrimination

After much thinking and reading – Part II of In Response to Something I Read this Morning.

Parental Discrimination – dirty looks from co-workers for leaving early to take care of sick kid aka the reason one didn’t get a raise or promotion.

It is said of men who have babies “He’s a good family man” and the boss nods his head knowing that the man has “responsibilities” and will be loyal to the company. It’s true, I had a baby and we decided I would stay home if Dan could get a raise, he asked and tada – here I am at home. Funny how it means the exact opposite for women – hell I’ve heard it first hand from employers, I even thought it myself, “Oh great, she’s got three kids, guess who’ll covering for her when the kid is barfing.” So here’s the question – When it comes to parents in the work place why do men have responsibilities and women have liabilities?

I think it really does come down to who makes more money. Our good friends Jeff and Tracy just had a baby and Jeff stays home because Tracy made more money. The general rule seems to be whoever makes less gets to take time off – that’s logical. Except women in general make less… why? Well, because they take all that time off work – you know with the snotty kids and the pregnancies and their women’s days and all that girly stuff.

Maybe the problem is how we look at quality work? Perhaps it would be better if more people could work from home, or be on salary, or bank hours, or get insurance for part time work, or be allowed by law to take more days off to be with family. Hmmm, these are all workers’ rights issues. Ok stand back - here is where I bring it around to politics! We need to campaign for and elect politicians who support workers’ rights and a Living Wage and this will promote positive, equal work environments were the phrase “family values” actually means “families have value”.

4 comments:

BoomBoom said...

Neither Jeff nor I miss work when one of the kids is sick. My place of employment offers daycare for ill children (The TLC SickBay)and I normally will take advantage of it. I'm sure this is one more example of my failure as a mother...even when my kids are sick I don't miss work. Is it possible to be a responsible employee without being an irresponsible parent? Or vice versa?

Looking at your CEO posting though, I realized this means we hold down two jobs each. With the exception of someone watching Mr. Lips three and one-half hours a day all other responsibilities you listed are taken care of by either Jeff or I day in and day out.

When at home I think I should begin wearing my tiara and Jeff should get a cape.

Jenny said...

Yes, it is possible to be a responsible employee and a great parent. But I think it takes serious effort and a lot of brilliance. You and Jeff do it daily and my Mom kicked ass at it. I still look to her example when I need to find strength. That woman worked her brains to the bone daily and then came home and helped with homework and made dinner and ... well you probably know the drill.

May I add that after seeing how clean your house always is - I think you definitely should wear a tiara and Jeff should get a cape!

Anonymous said...

I have no children, lately I do my job pretty half-assed, and my house is always a mess.

Does this mean I have to stop wearing MY tiara?

Jenny said...

No Darling, you are just Queen of a different sort a land. One where the currecy revolves around margaritas and song dedications.

You see we here in Gen-X-Land often refer to your country as the Good-ol'Days. We like to vacation there often and you can also see us in our cars, sitting at green lights, staring into the air, thinking of your country.