Oct 19, 2006

What's in my Backyard

So we’ve never really gotten along with our neighbors. It started with my Chihuahua slipping his chain and chasing Mrs. Wertz to her back door. Mrs. Wertz is a sturdily built Boy-scout Den-Mother who bikes and hikes and could very possibly play roller derby but when our little eight pound Alijandro got to thinking he was a big dog he’d Houdini that chain and chase her right through the back yard while she shrieked and wailed. Sometimes she’d get a broom and try and whack him with it. I knew this would never do so we saved up and bought a fence. It was the best investment I ever made for us and the dogs but still Mrs. Wertz would kick the fence and shriek “Shut up!” at the barking menace that my dog became.

It didn’t help that he loved this game. Upon opening the door he’d shoot outside like a bullet straight over to the side yard checking for Mrs. Wertz or any family member that might smell like her. The incessant barking would commence until I called him in and if any of the unfortunate neighbors were attempting to enjoy their back yard I would have to walk out into the yard, pick him up bring him back in. She never kicked the fence when I was standing there but sometimes I’d be around the corner watering the garden and I’d hear the chain link rattle all at once because she’d kicked it and I’d fantasize about running around the corner with the hose.

Well since then we had Ella and decided to give little Alijandro to a family with more time to spend with him. He loved to be in your lap which I wouldn’t allow with a fresh faced newborn in my lap. So things have gotten significantly quieter between the neighbors and us. I just can’t help it though every time our remaining dog Wednesday rolls in something gross in our back yard I wonder what Mrs. Wertz threw out there. I know it’s the epitome of paranoid, but I once saw her son throw a brick at my Chihuahua and wouldn’t it be funny to throw a piece of limburger in your neighbor’s back yard so their dog rolled in it and then went in the house and played with the kids and rolled on the couch before your neighbor figured out what that smell was and gave everyone a bath and washed the couch? Yeah – that’d be freaking funny as hell.

6 comments:

noncommon said...

neighbors suck.
i've just decided that having to share this life with anyboby i don't like sucks.
have a good day! ;)

Mrs. Ca said...

I can only hope that when we finally buy a house that we have good neighbors. Because bad neighbors really, truly suck.

Our current downstairs neighbor likes to watch Law & Order so loud that we can change to that channel, hit mute, and still hear all the dialouge clearly. This bothers my husband a lot more than it bothers me, and we can't get her to stop being so loud. It's awful.

BoomBoom said...

There's a lot of sucking going on in this post ~giggle~

I agree with Cameo...having to share your life with someone you don't like does suck! We should all pull the weeds from our gardens!

Jo said...

Or maybe Sugar Pixie threw her dead mouse over the fence after she petted it?? If I were your neighbor I would throw a nice apple pie,(warm) with a carton of vanilla ice cream, (cold).
Good luck with your derby night tonight.
Want to know what my blogger word was?? rxnakd. Sounds like a prescription for luv!

Anonymous said...

How about traveling halfway across the country with Mr Wertz (not his real name, I know the truth) and that god-forsaken VW van of his. We had to wait a whole day in Cripple Creek for someone to deliver a fuel filter for a 1970-something tard-wagon. It's not funny when you're 16 and you know the song. Trucker's dream my a$$.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Jenny said...

Shoulung - I can't even imagine - poor you.