Jul 31, 2008

Hancock

I went to see Hancock last night and will now declare it the "Best super hero movie of all time ever" totally tying it with Mystery Men. Yes, I can have two totally best super hero movies of all time; it's my list, my blog and my imaginary award to give out. Anyway, I really like the juxtaposition of real life and super heroes; it's a theme that runs through both movies. Hancock introduces a super hero who has very human flaws including a drinking problem; Mystery Men illustrates very flawed humans who find the super in their flaws.

I love that stuff. It means that even when we think we have an idea about Perfection we can still be hip checked by a derby girl with wonderfully big thighs or loose all the poker chips to a person who has OCD and can remember every card dealt or played. It’s these stories that promote the idea that different can be great and redefines perfection by blurring the boundaries we lay as criteria.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I loved Hancock, especially the way that "super" was not synonymous with "perfect."

And after several days surrounded by amazing, strong, ass-kicking women of all shapes and sizes, I feel nothing but love for our derby community and the way it empowers us.

I wish you coulda been there!