Jul 8, 2008

Once Upon a Storm

Went to see Kung Foo Panda last night and really enjoyed it. Ella was doing "just-saw-it-on-the-screen-style karate" the whole way to the car. That's the kind that involves a lot of flapping ankles and "Hi-YA!" yelling. My brothers and I trained in that same style on Sunday mornings with Master Bruce Lee back in the late 70s.

While we were in the theatre it rained hard and the wind blew power lines down in a way that the police said we had to take a different country drive home. On this different country drive with the lightning strikes on the horizon I saw the most concentrated five acres of lightning bugs I've ever seen in my life. The winter wheat looked like the storm was dropping bits of green lightning bolt glitter across the field. This was quickly followed by a tiny frog army launching an epic assault on our car. I scrambled for my camera and alas have nothing to show you, it was too dark. It's one of those cruel realities; magic can only be seen with the naked eye and hardly ever recorded. Ask anyone who's seen a fairy.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Oh I wish I could have seen that, it sounds breathtaking!

Jenny said...

I wish you could've seen it too!