Aug 1, 2008

Project Runway the Bombadee Edition

I was at the fabric store yesterday looking for plain black swim suit material to sew onto the front of my bikini top (think skirt for my belly) when I stumbled across this man's inspiring fabric and immediately had to think of something to make with it.

I bought this old smock style summer shirt for Ella at the thrift store about two years ago that I love. I'm pretty sure it's from the 70s so I haven't ever seen another one. On Ella and it's the most breathable cool shirt she's ever owned and when it's really hot I try to make sure it's available to wear and so I thought why not duplicate it with this fabric.

















I mean really the pattern didn't look that hard, especially since I made it up (based on the shirt we had.) So, I traced the old shirt onto the fabric and started cutting. I've tried to recreate it the best I can remember for you here.











A couple of hours later, after many fights with the ruffles in wich I told the ruffles to get screwed get out of my house and never come back and they pointedly laughed in my face exclaiming the shirt wouldn't be the same without them and we needed them, I pounded them onto the shirt and... Vwala!














I'll let you know how the swimming suit bikini belly skirt goes.
(I think it'll be fierce!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.

~tapping chin~

I think I know where I'm going the next time I buy a new pair of pants that need to be hemmed up.

Jenny said...

Ok but you have to stand on a chair while I put pins in my mouth and yell at you to hold still or I'll stab you with a pin.

Anonymous said...

that is seriously cute!
feel free to send it roxy's way when it's no longer needed there!
;)

Jo said...

Oh you are a wiz! Wow. I am wildly impressed.

Debbie said...

Love it! You can threaten to stick me with pins anytime if I can get one too. ;)