Aug 21, 2008

The Joker Was the Real Hero in this Movie

I went and finally saw The Dark Knight last night. Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker was really scary, Christian Bale's growley batman voice made me want to giggle and the editing was excessive. I would've liked to follow one scene for slightly longer than 30 seconds, all that jumping from scene to scene didn't add suspense it just actually made it harder for my old brain to follow the storyline. Perhaps it's the editor's attempt to make the story more complicated but newer movies tend to do this to me and it's confusing, I don't like it.

I read a blog not that long ago about the feminist movie rule. I haven't been able to let the idea go and have found myself applying it to every movie I see. I knew Dark Knight wasn't going to even be close to meeting the expectations but sometimes you never know. Anyway, to be a feminist movie three basic requirements must be met: 1. It has to have two women in it. 2. They have to talk to each other 3. about something other than men.

So The Dark Knight failed miserably on the feminist rule, had a hero who's voice was kinda cheesy and over the top editing that jumped too quickly from scene to scene BUT Heath Ledger's performance was so amazing it saved the whole movie and made it a highly entertaining must see. I recommend it on the big screen and currently it's in the five buck club!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I love the feminist movie rule, but the ony movie I can think of that would pass is Thelma and Louise.

Jenny said...

Funny the only ones I can think of besides Thelma and Louise is Deathproof, A League of Their Own and Tankgirl and I'm not compleatly sure that last one fits the criteria.

Jenny said...

Wow, I went looking for more and found this!

http://bechdel.nullium.net/