Jan 16, 2006

Never Forget

Pill may subdue traumatic memories January 15, 2006 BY MARILYNN MARCHIONE

“Suppose you could erase bad memories from your mind. Suppose, as in a recent movie, your brain could be wiped clean of sad and traumatic thoughts.

That is science fiction. But real-world scientists are working on the next-best thing…

…The need for better treatment grows daily as American troops return from Iraq and Afghanistan with wounded minds as well as bodies. One government survey found almost one in six showing symptoms of mental stress, including many with post-traumatic stress disorder. Disability payments related to the illness cost the government more than $4 billion a year.”

I read this article yesterday and I’m alarmed. There is such a large possibility for abuse with a pill like this. I don’t mean like ‘housewives and Vicodin abuse’ I mean ‘reverse Clockwork Orange abuse’. I believe things that are distressing and unforgettable have deep purpose and meaning. They allow us passion and drive. They fuel politics and art. They inspire and warn.

We are meant to experience trauma in a highly negative way. The implications of erasing difficult feelings with a pill instead of working through would make the human race psychologically weak. It would devastate self esteem earned through triumph of the human spirit. People and societies who exhibit self destructive behaviors may never evolve.

Epic tales of sorrow will become fiction.

Courage will hold no meaning.

Dear reader would you pop a sad pill? I would not and I say -
Never Forget.

8 comments:

BoomBoom said...

Would a simple

YEAH!

suffice?

Jenny said...

Yeah - good rant?

or

Yeah - I would totally erase the bad.

BoomBoom said...

Like a "HELL YEAH" good rant.

If you don't have bad, how can you determine what's good?

BoomBoom said...

And I must say, these ranty opinionated posts are my favorite. Not that I don't enjoy the family/Ella ones - I do.

I just REALLY enjoy the ones that make me think and decide something.

Jenny said...

that's were I imagined you would be on the subject.

The whole reason I started blogging was to rant about politics and connect with a world outside of the lovely midwestern Norman Rockwell painting that I live in.

Anonymous said...

I definitely think you need to take the bad with the good. Forgetting is not coping. Although some memories may be horrible, they are part of the fabric of our lives and part of who we are. Those who can face adversity will grow stronger.

Anonymous said...

Oops -- so my answer is, no, I would not take a pill, and I'd be nervous about misuse of them as well.

Anonymous said...

Found your blog through my SIL's blog http://edwards5.blogspot.com/

A further step past Tatertot's comment..

If we forget the bad things that have happened to us, we lose not only our ability to determine what is good, but our empathy as well as our ability to determine what is truly horrid. True injustices in the world are changed by the revolt we feel when we witness or learn of horrid things and the empathy we feel towards those who are suffering through them.

No I would not take the pill. Every experience we have, beautiful and ugly, help us become who we are and I rather think I like who I am today.