Jan 13, 2006

Green Eggs & Ham

I love the internet because sometimes I feel like I have seen it all. If this were the 16th century I would be a ripe old woman with the knowledge and wisdom of the world, but alas I am just a Mom surfing the internet daily looking for new ideas, especially in the art world.

Years ago I stumbled on this guy
Eduardo Kac who thought something new, kind of a The Island of Dr. Moreau meets the digital age* art. He mixed bunny genes with jellyfish genes to create a glow in the dark bunny named Alba. “Transgenic art, I proposed elsewhere [1], is a new art form based on the use of genetic engineering to transfer natural or synthetic genes to an organism, to create unique living beings.” said Kac. I was enamored by this idea in that it was NEW to me, it renewed my faith that I had not ‘seen it all’ before.

This morning I read about
Glowing Green Pigs Bred in Taiwan and this time they’re doing it in the name of saving human lives. What started as an argument with artist friends “Just because we can, should we?” has ended with a resounding “Yes, we should” – this time.

* http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+digital+age <--How can this be?!

1 comment:

BoomBoom said...

I've gotta say after reading this post and its related links I can't stop thinking one thing.

I sure am glad I'm not a pig, starfish, zebrafish, jellyfish or mouse.