Jun 5, 2008

Pictures of a June Afternoon

Today is too overcast to make the long trek to the beach but it is warm enough to get the plastic vacuum formed swimmy pool out and put it under the tiny elm that is growing at just the exact rate to give Ella shade. I sit in a lawn chair doing the crossword, Ella sits in six inches of cold hose-water happily splashing and the dog laps at the biggest bowl of water ever. We eat popsicles. I get the chicken out of the freezer and set it on the stove to thaw. Ella discovers going down the slide in a wet swimming suit is incredible. I finish all but three answers on the crossword. I cut the grape vines out of the wild flower patch so the daisies can see the sun. Grass clippings and dead ants float across the little blue pool. Ella bails water into her sand box and forms tiny roadways for a truck. Dan gets home and starts the grill. We talk about our day and discuss the disposition of the chicken. Dan begins to cook. He is trying to use one of the many bottles of bar-b-que sauce left over from Memorial Day weekend. We hear the roar of Thunderbirds flying over. There is an air show this weekend, we'll go on Sunday. My carpool for derby practice will be here soon. When I get home tonight I'll finish the crossword.

No comments: