Jun 21, 2008

Our Soldier

One of our very closest friends in the world is leaving for Afghanistan with the Army and we gathered up last night to send him off together over dinner and drinks. He and Dan were in boy scouts together and grew up skateboarding on the same streets. He's the guy who accompanied Dan and me on our first date (the ice cream shop next to the college.) He's the guy who lived at our house briefly between college and his marriage and dutifully stayed out of all the newlywed fights Dan and I had (thank you for not choosing sides.) He picked me up after I crashed the car and brought me to the hospital (Dan had the flu and couldn't come to get me.) This great guy is now our neighbor as well as the husband of a very wonderful lady whom I adore and father to an incredible four year old girl who plays with Ella. He's been a fixture in our lives, and when I went to find a picture of him on my hard drive I found too many to choose just one. He and his family are at every party, every birthday, every wedding, and every baby shower; they are living their lives right here beside us. And now he will be defending us and I respect him for that more than I can say, because I know his family and I know what he is sacrificing. Be safe Friend.

Going Away Party in Rockford, IL 06.20.08

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny,
He seemed like a lovely guy when we met him at your house. Must be unimaginably hard on his wife and family. When I think of the nonsense I complain about. Anyway, hope he is safely back home sooner rather than later. Take care, Olivia

Anonymous said...

i am so sad about this.
i feel for his wife and child.
he sounds like a stand-up guy.
and all my best wishes go with him.
and i hope he gets home safe!

and you girls have some damn fine looking men in that there town.
whew!