Jun 27, 2008

A Long Way to Go

Bakers Blog writes "I remember seeing an episode of Ally McBeal where her therapist suggests that she give herself a theme song. She was to play that song in her head when she felt down or her self-confidence dipped (I think Ally's was "Tell Him" by The Exciters). Your theme song should be a song that gives you a lift as you walk down the street, a song that makes you feel happy, confident and in control."

My skatey matey DD Hunter posted
this about her theme song and asked what mine was and it's a funny thing... It used to be Brick House when I needed a lift or a little strut in my step that's what I would hear in my head but these days I don't hear Brick House anymore. It turns out I rarely need to get the courage together in my head to do daring things, mostly before I do something crazy I need to calm my excitement and collect my thoughts and focus, what song do I hear in my head when I need to get all zen-like?

Ode to Joy, it helps me to revel in the accomplishments of humankind and centers me in a way I can't explain. But that's not all, when I'm skating out onto the derby rink I hear Sabotage, when I'm hanging out with Ella jackin' around I hear Groove is in the Heart, with Dan on date night I hear Them There Eyes, when I am riding in the car with my family almost anything by Orba Squara. So it just totally depends on what I'm doing.

Incidentaly I was gonna throw some pictures behind an Orba Squara track and make a quick video for you all to hear them and I ended up finding pictures spanning all the way from 2002(when I got my first digital camera) to last week and due to the sheer number of these pictures, I realized just how much I really love riding in the car with my family...



So what's your theme song?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My theme song is not only for just myself, but for all mankind as well. It is "Imagine" by the late, great, John Lennon. Whenever I'm feelin' down that song lifts me up and gives me hope that our world could be beautiful, and peaceful, and filled with love.

Jo said...

Like you, depends on the situation. I have a couple when I am with my grand daughters. My Girl and Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch.
Amazing by Janelle is Little Man's current theme song.
Anything sappy from the 80's is my Bald Man's song.
I love Ode to Joy too. Also, Fur Elise touches me deeply.

Anonymous said...

wow.
first off, i adore the video. you flippin' rock!
okay, theme songs? many, many theme songs.
for me, personally? "still in hollywood" by concrete blond.
with chris, "in spit of ourselves" by john prine and iris dement.
when i'm in the car all by myself? "movin' along" by boston.
there are ones for the kids, ones that always make me think of my mom. there are a dozen or so i share with my best friend.
the soundtracks of our lives are potent. what do you wnat to play at your funeral?

Anonymous said...

oops. that was me.

Jenny said...

ooooh my funeral? hmmm, I beleive I'll be 110 and have outlived everyone accept my children, so whatever makes them happy... and perhaps a little Beastie Boys (something from Root Down)LOL!