Jun 24, 2008

Discovery!

I found a new blog I am totally in love with. Not only is the name Stroller Derby the coolest ever, the content is thought provoking, sometimes funny and addictive. I find myself reading every single article they publish - sheesh! Its part of a bigger online magazine type website called Babble that I am checking out today and also enjoying.

I just finished reading a beautiful essay called "
The Overparenting Crisis" by Katie Allison Granju who's attachment parenting style I subscribe to, and it's funny 'cause this helicopter parenting is something Dan and I discuss quite a bit (as in trying not to become one). As protective as we are of our kiddo, I do try to let her eat dirt and lick other kid's toys, and that's not completely because I'm too lazy to wipe down the grocery cart before I put her in it, it's because I know about immunities. I let her play far away from me and when she falls off the monkey bars I leave her alone until she finds me and I let her take care of her own bullies on the playground. Does it take all the strength in my body to not run over there and scoop her up? Absolutely, but it's better for she and me in the long run if I wait for her reaction first. Katie also makes the very important point

"When parents micromanage children's lives, overly investing themselves in their kids, everyone loses. Mothers and fathers lose themselves in their roles as parents, while kids never find themselves."

This is another argument for you all too immediately go out and join your local roller derby/ballet/theatre/soup kitchen/bowling/dart/kickball league to save you and your family's sanity. Anyway, I think the article summed up my feelings perfectly. And it's always nice to find a little confirmation from peers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally relate. I fluctuate between being a worry wart parent and then worrying that I'm depriving my daughter of the experiences of experiencing the world and all its germs, textures, you name it. I've also had words with another "copter" mom because apparently I am not parenting the right way by allowing my daughter to explore the world and learn (she puts things in her mouth like toddlers like to do).

Just wanted to say I like your site and this is our first year with a vegetable garden.