Jun 4, 2008

Blah Blah Blah

My four year old is fond of grabbing my cheek and squeezing it like she's my great aunt while saying to me "I'm just kidding you." Next she'll be patting me on the head and muttering "they grow up so fast."

***

The first warm and sunny day we have I am packing up the kiddo and going to the beach. We'll leave a sign on the door that says "Gone swimmin' - back after we're done" Then I will turn my phone down to vibrate and put it in the mini-cooler with my keys.

***

I get Cookie Magazine and at first it was a little politics, a few musings on an egalitarian family life, artistic photographs, odd homes, reviews of hip toys, vacation places that are great with kids and articles about the merit of mud pies and sheet forts, it had a rich bohemian flavor, with edgy articles and black and white baby butts on it's glossy pages. I recommended it. Dan even liked the music reviews that gave him ideas for music we like that is compleatly kid friendly but leap years ahead of the Wiggles.

This month I got my latest issue and discovered articles helping me become a "Beach Goddess" and have "Easy Summer Hair" as well as learning how to "Contain Children's Clutter", and of course the Father's Day article quizes me about "What kind of father is he?" - UG! Give me break, if I wanted to know about easy summer hair or beach goddess charateristics I'd be getting some fluffy magazine that tells me all about it along with how to please my man so he'll never leave and what eyeliner I just have to have. And let me also say that I know what kind of father my husband is because... get this... we are IN THE SAME FAMILY and I PAY ATTENTION!* So while the article was cute it was still fluffy and I was originally sold on a magazine that was a little more intelectual. I fret my favorite alternative parenting magazine is loosing it's substance and turning into Good Housekeeping mashed up with Cosmopolitan. If next month, a mear six months from a presidential election, I get a magazine filled with diets and quick tips for vaccuuming I'm cancelling it and ordering Bitch.

*The need for magazines to reduce my complicted and fabulouse husband into a neat little box drives me crazy! I'm beyond needing to put a label on the type of Dad/lover/listener/sock-wearer he is. Did nobody see the Breakfast Club?! We are more than just a The Jock, The Nerd, The Criminal, The Princess, and The Basketcase!

No comments: