Jan 13, 2007

These Faces

January 11th I received and reposted this message on Myspace:

“Please read & repost :)Body: ***If you have any information about the disappearance of William “Ben” Ownby, contact the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department at 636-583-2567, or the Missouri State Highway Patrol or the FBI. Ben is 13 years old, 4 feet 10 inches tall, 100lbs, brown hair, blues eyes. He was wearing a hooded St. Louis Rams windbreaker and blue jeans. He was also wearing glasses.***Name: William OwnbyDOB: 1993-12-06Age: 13Race: whiteGender/Sex: MHair Color: brownEye Color: blueHeight: 4' 10"Weight: 100Clothing: st louis rams hooded windbreaker and blue jeansOther: wears glassesVictim got off bus after school approx 1530 hrs and was walking home and did not arrive. White Nissan pickup with camper shell seen in the Beaufort area.”

I really didn’t know how timely the message was but I figured if it were my kid I’d like people to repost it until found, even if it took years – so I reposted. Today I opened the news and read:

"Two Missing Boys FoundA 13 year old who vanished from the gravel road near his home five days ago was found alive Friday, along with a 15 year old boy missing since 2002.William "Ben" Ownby and Shawn Hornbeck were found in a Kirkwood, Mo., home belonging to Michael Devlin, 41, who has been charged with one count of first degree kidnapping.Sheriff Gary Toelke said the break in the case came Thursday night. Kirkwood police officers were serving a warrant on an apartment complex when they noticed a white truck matching the description of a vehicle sought in the Ownby investigation."


Now, I encourage you to take a minute and go look at these faces

3 comments:

noncommon said...

i brought my boys to the computer last night to show them the video from a local newscast about the two missouri boys. i explained what was going on - how the one boys had been missing for four years.
but i have to explain, that when i went to your link, it took me a little bit to realize these were actually little missing people. and then i could see the energy in their eyes and reality hit. and it hurts.
i realize i've become numb.
it's all tainted and blurred.
thanks for the jolt my friend.

Anonymous said...

Extremely scary to think of losing your child like that. Worse than death. The not knowing must drive people absolutely crazy.

I do a bit of work with the Missing Persons Association here. Think I will put together a blog on a few cases. As you say you never know who is going to help you in these situations. Take care.

Jenny said...

I'd always thought I was supposed to remember those faces just in case. Now I know that's impossible, they are there just in case I RECOGNIZE one.