Nov 1, 2006

Slush

Thus begins the long slog through winter. We’ll have days and days of rain and slush from the sky and perhaps even a little snow that may stick before the New Year. The span above will turn a permanent grey and we will scrunch up and scowl every time we step outside in an effort to keep warm. My knuckles will chap after doing dishes and Ella’s cheeks will turn bright red with dryness and she will cry when I try to smear coco butter across her face. We’ll turn the heat down to 68° we’ll wear itchy wool sweaters and turn on the space heater before each bath. The dog will refuse to go out a pee on really cold slushy days and just do it on the deck creating little yellow ice patches close to the corner that I will want to hose off - but wont (gross). Can you tell this is by far not my favorite part of the year? I’d much prefer lying on the sandy beach at Pearl Lake sipping beer while Ella splashes spring water on her knees. So, I feel a list is needed.

Things I am looking forward to:

1. Turkey and stuffing
2. My first roller derby bout
3. Winter Solstice
4. The holidays
5. Ella’s birthday
6. Valentines Day
7. Another trip to Vegas?
8. Art gala/benefit for the library
9. St. Patrick’s Day
10. SPRING

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you're getting down about the "winter slog".
It's about 77 here in the southlands today, but it will be in the upper 50's for the weekend. I may need to get a jacket...
;)

BoomBoom said...

Our families will make it through the long winter months together…playing board games at big tables scattered with bowls of soup and napkins of chex mix…draped on chaise’s with our stripey slippers peeking from underneath afghans watching funny movies and sipping cosmos…gathered on sofa’s sharing old stories and laughter by a crackling fire as the kids run wild from room to room… cheering on The Demolition Dolls, screaming “foul” for no particular reason, as I wear a shirt declaring my alliance as “Bomdadee’s Bitch”…taking our children that are so constrained in thermal underwear, snow pants, hats, scarves, mittens and boots they can barely walk sledding down hills of white powder speckled with glistening diamonds…congregating at small Asian bistros in dresses and heels, listening to The Lady in Red sing smoky jazz tunes and dancing ‘til close to the heavy house beats at the local gay bar…sitting around tables of green felt honing our blackjack skills, drinking Hot Toddy’s and munching on purple tortilla chips smeared with sun-dried tomato hummus…

I’m rather looking forward to it.

Jenny said...

Thank you for putting things into a better perspective. I think I needed that. I may tape this one to the fridge.

Jo said...

I have grown to love the winter season in Utah. The swirly snowflakes dancing in the halo of the streetlights, the cruch of the snow under my boots, the gratitude of microfiber which means I will stay warm even when it is cold, the gray warmth of a full moon shining on the snow, how clean everything looks after a fresh snowfall. Ah yes, winter has it's own pleasures. And don't forget Soy hot chocolate from Starbucks. Yum.

Jenny said...

Snow! That's right Jo, I'm going to look forward to snow and Ella's first sledding expedition!

Lynne@Oberon said...

Whew! So that's what I narrowly avoided by not moving to Warsaw, Indiana!

Jenny said...

Yes, Surfing Free you did, and one year I may ditch all this glorious cold and rain to come and stay with you in November. LOL

Lynne@Oberon said...

Oooh, you couldn't handle long days on the beach, bbq's, and cricket on the tv ;) Australia in summer is no place for the faint hearted!