Jul 29, 2006

Beach Review

To escape the heat we ventured out to Pearl Lake. We used to go there a couple of times a summer when I was a kid but in my crabby old age I’ve discovered I don’t care for swimming in water that I can’t see through so usually beaches, swimmin' holes and rivers are out of the question. Recently caught a commercial boasting about the spring fed lake and decided that it sounded cool and crisp and clean.

We drove about forty minutes and upon arriving I recalled learning to float in the water at this beach while mom basked in the sun drinking cokes and Dad taught me a basic frog kick leading up to the momentous accomplishment of swimming. The smells were all the same Coppertone, kid sweat and popsicles and there is still a wonderful little snack bar that boasts hamburgers, hot dogs, ice cream and even beer. I didn’t remember the beer part, but the last time I went I’m sure I wanted a Dreamsicle and not a Miller Lite.

I paid $8.00 to get in and Ella was free and we stumbled down the hill to the lake edge and sure enough the water was crisp, cool and clean. I could see right down into it and were it is deep it is a clear and beautiful turquoise. The lake has three sections according to depth, three feet, five feet and deep end and all three sections have a little fountain of crystal clean cold spring water spraying out in the middle. They also have the section were you can rent paddle boats, but I didn’t venture over there. I chose a spot by the three foot depth and spread out our blanket and towels and junk. Ella immediately ran for the water with her little pail and shovel in hand. After a quick dip I had a chance to do a quick estimate, there were perhaps 30 moms sparsely scattered around the edge of the lake sunning, maybe another 30 teenagers hanging around in the deep end and on the dock brooding and being cool and at tops 100 kids in the lake splashing and squealing. There were four lifeguards on tall stands and lots of empty sand.

We stayed all day and we’ll go back again. Next time I will skip the cooler and junk and just bring $15.00 for snacks, sunscreen, a couple of bottles of water two towels and Ella’s ola-ola (aka her swim ring and I don’t know why she calls it an ola-ola). Traveling light is better when you have sand in your shorts and you have to carry all your junk and the kid across the beach back to the van at the end of the day.
Also, please note that string cheese is NOT a convenient beach food for toddlers.

7 comments:

Jo said...

OH OH! I want to go there! It sounds so beautiful. Little Man loves the water. I remember the swimming hole near the house in Cali, my kids and I lived there in the summer. And now, I don't know where the years went, but those kids grew up and Little Man will never know those times, they drifted away, like soap bubbles on a spring day in the breeze and I can't hold on those times anymore than you can hold onto the bubble.
Hug Ella tight, while you are not noticing, the minutes are floating away from you!

Anonymous said...

I just read a comment you posted on another blog (Musings of a Deranged Woman) about getting your daughter's eyes tested. Since my daughter's glasses helped save her vision, then I thought I would pass along my advice. If you think that Ella's vision really is poor, you can get an opthalmalogist to check them. They would dilate her eyes and then look at them with specialized instruments. I don't know how they do it, I only know that they figured out what to do with my daughter.

In our case, if my daughter hadn't gotten glasses, her brain would have shut off "communication" with one or both of her eyes. So, we are REALLY thankful that we caught it early.

Good luck! And let me know if you have any questions :)

Jenny said...

Thank you Stephanie, it's not so much that she's showing a problem. It's just that both her father and I have extremely thick glasses and I think chances are she will need glasses too.

Jenny said...

Jo - no fair making a lady tear up on a Sunday morning.

Lynne@Oberon said...

It looks beautiful there - but how to they get away with charging you to swim in a lake?

Sir Seanface said...

Just thinking of string cheese and sand makes my teeth hurt.

And that spring water is freakin' cold.

Jenny said...

Surfing Free - they own all the ladn around the lake. You can also camp there (for a fee)

Mr. Blahzeeblah - when it's 100 out the water's not so cold.