Jul 26, 2006

Zzzzzzzz

Last night I was up until 3am. That was all fine and dandy until Ella woke up at 6am like a freaking rooster standing on the bed crowing “Mom, can you read ‘The Polite Elephant’ PLLLEEeeeeeeeEEEEEeeeeEEEEeeaaaaaaAAAAAASE?” Instead I flipped on the TV and rolled over to get some of that one-eye-open sleep which is for crap anyway I should’ve just gotten up. You get no real value from one eye open sleep, because you know your toddler could at any moment dump that full glass of water from your nightstand right into your bed or happily find her way down to the kitchen make an attempt at frying eggs for the dog. You sleep in 40 second chunks and every time you hear a noise you sit straight up adrenaline pumping briefly, only to settle back under the covers with a sigh while you grasp at chunks of dream desperately trying to drag them back. It’s just a terrible way of trying to fool yourself into thinking you are actually getting more sleep.

When nap time came, instead of lying down with Ella I read the paper instead thinking “It’s fine, I don’t feel tired”, this was almost the same as saying “It’ll be easier to just stay up all night”. It sounds like a brilliant plan until you are actually executing it. By 7:00pm I was exhausted and wishing I had taken that nap. It’s been a long time since I tried to function on three hours of sleep and it does me no good, just none. It makes me snappy and snarky and mean. Yet here I sit at 11:44pm typing away. Good night dear internet, see you on Thursday when I will have a coherent thought to deliver. I promise.

6 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

I'm about the same way when I'm functioning on no sleep, although I don't have a toddler to blame for waking up early. I do that myself, no matter how late I stayed up the night before. I'm always awake by 7 at the latest. Hope you got a better night sleep last night!

punkymom said...

Oh My God!!! I feel so awful for you ! you were such a trooper last night at the concert. I would not have been able to do that drive. I was told today that "this is Poohey's mommy" followed by "this is Poohey's sister", So I asked Mommy is your sister? "ummhmm I like her." So I didn't know if I explain what a sister is in relation or just enjoy the fact that she said something so sweet. So I enjoyed it. She followed with I want my birthday cake please. She knows it's almost her birthday and Jeffery from T.R.U sent her Birthday card and discount card. I love the new picture.

Jenny said...

It's 10am I just woke up and I am feeling much better already. We've also been looking forward to the birthday party too. Ella often just sings Happy Birthday to her dolls sometimes and pretends to make cakes.

BoomBoom said...

Damn...by 10am, I had been up for five hours.

I'm a bit jealous.

Lynne@Oberon said...

Wow! I don't think I could sleep in until 10am if I was alone in a luxury hotel room. My internal clock seems to be set for 7am and that's that. Lucky you!
I do however remember the days pre-kids when I could waste a whole day sleeping, waking up slightly, sleeping again, maybe eating, then sleeping again.

Jenny said...

I've done it twice this week! wow