Jul 6, 2006

Mr. Clemens

Alonzo Clemens suffered a head injury at the age of six. He has an IQ of 40. Five percent of Americans IQs are under 75. An IQ less than 50 puts one in the category severely retarded needing assistance in nearly all aspects of daily life. Alonzo is also an artistic genius and to witness him mold a glob of clay into a tiny animal he may have only seen once is truly a marvel to behold. His fingers work furiously pulling peaks and leaving seemingly random divots, till you realize what you thought were accidental gestures are the very deliberate actions of brilliant fingers that need only move clay once to put it were it needs to be. A tiny ox forms from a lump of earth in front of your eyes. When I was a kid hearing bible stories this is how I imagined God formed animals with his hands in the mud of the earth. He is one of the few living artists whose work I would like to own. His sculptures sell for thousands and his studio is in Aspen CO.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I was reading that his synapsis have found an alternate path facilitating his genius

BoomBoom said...

That bull's well hung.

Jenny said...

I find the inner workings of the brain extremely interesting.

BoomBoom said...

~blushing~
Okay - my earlier comment seems rather vulgar and out of place. Actually, come to think of it...I am vulgar and out of place more often than not.

This is the comment I wish to make today: I think the human body is built to endure and if given time, can heal and find new ways to do what it needs to survive.

Jenny said...

And I will agree that bull is really hung!

Jenny said...

You Tube movie: "Savant syndrome, Beautiful minds"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkDMaJ-wZmQ&eurl=http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlkDMaJ-wZmQ