Nov 22, 2006

Give Thanks

I awoke this morning to more sunshine and the promise of temps in the 50s. This is good for a run to the city today to find a present for my Grandfather’s 80th birthday. Getting in and our of our warm car to shop with giant coats and hats and gloves and scarves for two is a project in itself and one I’m glad I won’t have to tackle yet. People will be on high today getting things ready for Thanksgiving and some may even be doing a little Christmas shopping. I expect to find crabby parents yelling at crying children in shopping carts and smiling old ladies winking in the direction of those children hoping to secretly convey some granny magic that will fix the mood in the cart. I’ll no doubt see gobs of teenagers dressed for August under the skimpiest of jackets standing around looking aloof and text messaging each other across the mall. I’ll see young mothers struggling with sticky toddlers in umbrella strollers and old mothers who will have every conceivable situation already prepared for in their designer diaper bags the two will judge each other through haughty sunglasses.

Ella will want to ride in the stroller and touch everything pretty and shiny, I will let her and in turn she will let me shop. She will want to ride the carousel at the food court and I will give her a dollar to ride while I get a smoothie. I will want to try on a new perfume at Macy’s and she will stare through the glass at the sparkly rings. We’ll stroll past Cinnabon and breath deep. When Ella hears another mother yelling for her child to “Shut up!” in the elevator she will cling tighter to me and whisper “She’s mean” in my ear while I nod. We’ll peek into Spencers at the gag gifts and gargoyles and the smoke rolling out the door, I’ll reminisce at Hot Topic, and Ella will play for a minute or two at the toy store. When we start to snap at each other it will be time to start home. Together we’ll sing during the long drive home and maybe Ella will fall asleep. I’ll carry her in to the couch sit down to read my e-mail. Today will be a good day. Thanks
Milo.

3 comments:

Jo said...

What a sweet plan. And even if it doesn't play out the way you planned, it is still a very thoughtful and heartful post.
Hot Topic? Geez, you would love my sons. They just gauged their ears up another size. sigh...

Jenny said...

I'm sure it won't but no matter what I'm getting a smoothie

Lynne@Oberon said...

I hope it turned out just like that .. without the bit where some poor child gets told to shut-up.
My girls go crazy when they see Christmas decorations in the shops. They need to pick them up, touch them, stroke them, declare undying love for them, then pout and cry when told to put them back .... so I shop whenever possible without them! ;)