Aug 7, 2006

I Like When You Comment, it Makes Me Happy

I know it’s a cliché to say having kids is amazing because you see everything through their eyes, but it's true. It's great to hear Ella talk about the world, I cherish those conversations. Sometimes Ella will tell you everything she knows about a subject all at once. For instance, our dog:

“That’s my friend Wednesday. She’s a dog. She’s black. She likes to lick me in the head. She just wants a pat on her head. She’s naked. Dogs don’t wear pants, just fur and a necklace.”

And I think to myself “Wow, that’s true. I have a little naked animal wearing jewelry running around my house licking my daughter in the head and waiting to be petted, how odd.”

Sometimes, it’s not so funny, like when we are at the grocery store and she loudly points out the body parts that define the gender of each shopper walking past. Sometimes it’s sad, like a whisper in my ear “His Mommy is mean” or a panicked cry at the shoe store “I thought I lost you and it hurt my feelings”

It is always devastatingly dramatic to hear the world described so plainly and honestly. It’s rare to hear such rawness from anyone and that’s what makes me hang on to the words. I know they are Truth and in a few years these phrases will be tainted with life.

5 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

I love the wonderment with which kids view the world. Everything is so big and exciting.

noncommon said...

tainted with life - that nails it on the head!

Lynne@Oberon said...

So true.

Jessi Louise said...

Wow, you really captured exactly what I have thought about my son Dylann's remarks on things, but I've never been able to describe it properly with words.

punkymom said...

So when are you publishing?Do you have any books of La's you'd like me to take into Chi-town this weekend? The Target Book Festival? Authors and celebrity readers are going to be there, I'm totally hoping to meet Joan Cusak!! Plus I'd love to get some of Poohey's books signed by the authors.