Aug 25, 2006

Booyah!

I had derby practice tonight. I skated, did drills and learned a few things I’m sure my Grandmother would think was positively dangerous. There is a thing called a "whip" in which you literally fling your team member as hard as you can past you. The flingee goes rocketing towards the wall or other girl or just out into skating coach orbit while the flinger regains their speed or in my case picks themselves up off the floor. It’s freaking awesome to get hurled especially if everyone is right on mark. It’s like being the ball coming off the spring out onto the deck of the pinball machine. At first you aren’t even steering you are just aiming and then you are going faster than you could ever go on your own. I even found myself uncontrollably yelling “Wew!” upon getting flung across the floor.

Let me point out, during these extreme moments one just doesn’t have time to make a conscious decision about what to scream or holler it just pops out. Like pez, you just get what you get. Apparently, what I say during extreme excitement is “Wew!” Not very menacing is it? In fact it's kinda dorky, I wish it were something cooler like “Yee Ha!” or “Booyah!” or maybe even “How ya like me now Beeeyatch!” heck even “Wooo – Hooo” would’ve sounded cooler, but a little high-pitched “Wew!” is what came out. Trying to control your delight filled noises is no easier than trying to govern falling on your booty noises. My falling on my booty noise went “eeek.” I know, it kind fits right in with “Wew!” and even though I wish I could summons a Howard Dean scream or some crazy Spanish obscenity on the way down - it’s just not in me. Perhaps I could practice.

2 comments:

noncommon said...

i'd probably just cackle.
and when i fell i'd yell f*ck me!
my kids would be proud.

i'm buyin' a plane ticket - when's the first derby? ;)

Jenny said...

I think it's going to be in January.