Mar 28, 2006

They're Coming to Get You, Barbara

Despite my extreme phobia I stayed up until 1:30am Sunday night watching “Dawn of the Dead”. Surprisingly, I didn’t have a single nightmare and I wasn’t scared at all. I think the difference is the speed of the zombies. In “Return of the Living Dead” the zombies are lumbering, awkward, moaning messes that somehow always get you. In Dawn of the Dead they just move at regular speed. When I have nightmares about zombies they are the slow ones and I run but I can never rest because eventually they’ll get there. In fact my zombie nightmares have less to do with the actual zombies and more to do with the anticipation of the monster and the never resting. I wonder what that says about me.

So Dawn of the Dead was scary but not like I thought it would be especially after staying up late by my self to watch it. It had a little
Old Yeller theme running through it which got me thinking about rabies. Yeah, I know there’s some things to be said about Voodoo, but if you mix those stories in with stories of rabid people lumbering around with foaming mouths and twitching then you’ve got a good “swear to God this story is really true, it happened to my sister’s best friend’s cousin” story. I guess this is the basis for 28 Days which I haven’t seen but now that I know I can watch zombie movies a again (as long as they move at regular speed).

I googled Zombie & Rabies and found
Real Zombies, and How They’re Theoretically Possible, an Argumentative Paper by Robert Ashkenes . I also found Zombie Infection Simulation which was pretty neat and the The Real Zombie Attack Survival Test which told me I’d last about 3 hours without other more experienced survivalists – so if a zombie virus is unleashed Mr. BlahZeeBlah better be handy.


and just in case you are wondering I really like the band White Zombie.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stick with me! I know zombie flicks, I'll survive at least a week (accoridng to the test).

Table4Five said...

I loved Dawn of the Dead more than I thought I would. And I've seen 28 Days Later maybe a dozen times.
I'm a big, huge chicken about spiders and bugs and am terrified of heights, but I love zombie and ghost movies. Go figure.

Jenny said...

I didn't know I was married to a zombie killer - cool!

BoomBoom said...

I don't know crap about zombie movies - don't think I've ever seen one. Wasn't Cujo a rabies thing?

I will add "Zombie Attack" to the list of events I hope to have the Bombadee's with me for (along with Tornado's).

Jenny said...

Don't feel bad Elizabeth, I'm not keen on bugs either. Worse yet, we had a mouse in the trap last month, I called Dan at work to beg him to come home and empty it. He didn't and I wouldn't open the pantry door all day, beacuse it was IN THERE. (Some liberated macho woman I am.)

BoomBoom said...

Jeff has a good mouse story about me too. You'll have to ask him next time you see him.

Anonymous said...

O-M-G

I thought *I* was the only one in the entire world with a REAL phobia with zombies.

I couldn't sleep for SUCH a long time without lights on after the COMMERCIAL of the remake of Dawn of the Dead.

I guess you're the luckier out of us two, though. In my nightmares they're always super fast and they ALWAYS end up biting someone - me, someone I love, something. In the end it's always "how many zombies can I (or other) kill before turning into one?" And worse, my children are ALWAYS in the nightmares as well.

Oddly, before that commercial, even though I had a phobia, I was an avid zombie movie fan.

Now I'm just a wuss though.

lol

Jenny said...

I totally used to have to change the channel when that commercial came on. (I've had this phobia for YEARS)

Anonymous said...

lol same here.

By the way, didn't comment on it yesterday (was too busy writing a blog novel rofl) but you should TOTALLY get that picture of Ella behind the couch blown up and framed, perhaps even make it black and white. It's a great shot.

Feeling any better today?

Lynne@Oberon said...

Now you have to watch Shaun of the Dead - its a fantastic English spoof on zombie movies. It's hilarious!!

Jenny said...

Still no voice today. Dan says Shaun of the Dead is hilarious. I understand those one's are slow though so we'll see.

Anonymous said...

I've heard it's hilarious but I'm still too much of a wuss to even watch a PRETEND zombie movie lol

Although I scored "tough motha" with an estimated survival time of 1 month on that test

Anonymous said...

I love scary movies. But the one that's out now -- The Hills Have Eyes -- sounds like it's too much even for me. *shudder*

Sir Seanface said...

Holy Crap! I'm a bad ass and didn't even know it! According to the test I would last 2 years.
Bring on the rotting meat bags, I need some target practice.

Jenny said...

2 years! Were are you spending 2 years, on an island? In the mall?

Anonymous said...

HOLY SHIZZER THATS MY PAPER!!!! I WROTE THAT!! Got top of the class in my english class. I just did a search on myself and came up with this site. hah cool.

Jenny said...

Hey Rob, It was a great paper! Thanks for putting it out there. You should see I Am Legend, it ties in nicely.