Mar 16, 2006

He Also Plays Golf

Dan has been collecting toy soldiers since he can remember. Of course it always starts out with plastic army men in the dirt in the back yard, but it has since evolved into a basement full of tiny hand painted soldiers. He spends endless hours with a paintbrush the size of a three hairs in hand, painstakingly painting the proper uniforms on his Imperial Roman Praetorian Command. One would think it’s an odd pastime, however no more odd than hitting a tiny white golf ball with a long stick towards a tiny hole in the ground 300 yards away or for that matter watching race cars turn left around the same track all day, it’s just not as popular.

Dan also devours history books like snacks. I once discovered that given a random date in history Dan could tell me what war was happening and where and why in the world it was. I would randomly give him a number in the middle of a drive to the grocery store “1639!” and he would say “that’s easy… the 30 years war, but you know about that, how about I tell you about the Portuguese-Dutch Wars in the East Indies…”

A few times a year we drive into the Chicago suburbs to convene with other toy soldier enthusiast for the weekend. Actually Dan convenes and I shop at the local mall or swim in the hotel pool. It’s amazing to see thousands of regiments in miniature lined up on tables ready for battle, especially when you lean down to see each 20 mm figure has been hand painted right down to the eye balls. Dan always comes home after those weekends with and inspired desire to paint.

As pass times go it’s a good one, people ask if I mind that he has filled our basement with a tiny militia. I don’t mind, there are far worse pass times for a husband to have, beside he puts up with my obsession for antique dishes.


Toy Soldier Links:
UPNAway a good overview
One Guy's Toy Soldier Room (it looks alot like our basement)
Playset Addict awesome dioramas

5 comments:

BoomBoom said...

Why do I seriously think I have read this post before? Dejavu?

Jenny said...

You have, and now I am so busted.

I have so much stuff to get done today I stole it off of my old website.

Sorry folks, I'm running on autopilot today. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.

Jenny said...

Here's a little something new for you - a poem by - Alan Corkish

Private Play

When I was a little boy
Snuggled safe in bed
They said I should play with my soldiers
If I wanted to get ahead

I looked down at my soldiers
Generals and Majors and said
Sod the higher orders
(And I played with my privates instead!)

BoomBoom said...

Sorry - I didn't mean to publicly call you out.

This should give you some sense of enjoyment though. Not only do I read what you post, but I retain it as well.

Jenny said...

That's ok, I have a feeling you aren't the only one who thought Dejavu