Sep 6, 2005

It's Official I'm a Grown-Up

September 6th 2005

Yesterday for the first time in my life I had to send my 21 month old daughter to ‘Time Out’. I had to put my hands on her cheeks and look her in the eye and inform her “Mommy does not want you to give the dog-dog an ouch, and this is NOT funny. You have to sit here in ‘time out’ now.” I sat there like a real ‘Grown-up’ having just doled out my first ‘Time Out’ and wondered how sitting in the chair was actually a punishment. Ella didn’t think it was, in fact the first 30 or 40 seconds she sat in the chair she hummed to herself. I got a little worried and wondered if I should just pinch her or something.

She did finally get upset when she discovered I wouldn’t let her leave the chair. A battle of wills ensued. Ella getting out of the chair followed by me returning her to the chair and restating her crime. This seemed totally absurd to me at the time and must have seemed equally absurd to Ella. Was she thinking – “Hmmm, I pulled on Day-day’s ears and I’m getting two minutes of progressive parenting punishment?” or did she just think “My mommy lost her mind? Why won’t she let me out of this chair?” Finally she just cried “Mommy, mommy, mommmmy” with her little arms crossed over one another in protest. After two minutes, I told her she could get up and say sorry to the dog and she should be nice to Day-day. So Ella said ‘torry’ followed by a giant toddler hug around poor Day-day’s neck which was probably worse than the original ear pull.

I can’t help but wonder if Ella put it all together or if I just succeeded is showing Ella I could successfully break her will and make her do what I wanted. Would Ella have said ‘torry’ to Day-day and given her a hug without the ‘Time Out”? I’m almost sure she would’ve as Ella does most everything I ask her to, she’s very eager to participate and follow directions. Should I have done something else? So many questions…

All I know for sure is – Ella pulled the dogs ears on purpose and then again after I told her not to, and that was mean, and I could NOT let her get away with it.

On top of all of these grown up actions my childhood TV-buddy Bob Denver (Gilligan of Gilligan's Island) died. I even had an elephant I named Gilligan, I so loved that character. Funny how growing up can happen when you least expect it. RIP Dear Gilligan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up. This may be of interest to you; how to buy & sell everything, like make up on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.