Sep 23, 2005

Compton is a great place to live

So much to say and so little time to say it in. There's an article about Yale students being talked about out there in the blogosphere - I say it's about time we re-defined 'success' - more to come on that later.

Should we pull out of Iraq? First of all I'm a serious pacifist and a devout Liberal and I think the war is a travesty. I want to stand in the streets and chant "Bring our troops home." But yeah, here it comes… I can’t get the following thought out of my head: What if good ol’ Ty Pennington went to do one of his
Extreme Home Makeovers and tore down this family’s house and bulldozed it into a pile of debris and then left a rough sketch of the new house behind as he waved goodbye from his air conditioned, gas guzzling Humvee. Camera pans out as the poor family stands there holding nothing but a rough sketch the backdrop is a big pile of rubble that used to be their home. Oh yeah, I forgot to add that this episode takes place in Compton. So... I'm still thinking about this -

Links: In all fairness -
Don't confuse the war with the warrior - I support our soldiers and veterans
Compton is a great place to live, work, and raise a family

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting article about the Yale students. I don't know whether to feel insulted or not, on multiple levels. For instance:

"When we work so hard to open academics and other opportunities for women, what kind of return do we expect to get for that?" says Harvard's director of admissions, Marlyn McGrath Lewis.

Return? What kind of return is expected of men? And is it our fault that "academics and other opportunities" were closed to us in the first place?

I'm also a little offended by the blatant judgment of children raised by working mothers.

But above all, I'm disappointed in the reactions of women who are reading this article and saying "What a shame! What have we been fighting for? What will this do to women's rights?"

THIS is what we've been fighting for, you dolts. The right to make the best choice for ourselves and our families. THIS is the whole flippin' point.

If I want to work my whole life and never have kids, that's my choice. If I want to work and pay somebody to watch my children while I'm away, that's my choice. If I want to have a great career until I have kids and then quit, that's my choice. If I want to get married right out of high school and spit out babies like a Howitzer and never earn a paycheck on my own, that's my choice.

I could not define myself as a feminist if that meant denigrating a woman's choice to stay home and raise her children. True feminists recognize all of these choices as equally valid.