Sep 4, 2005

The Emperor Has No Clothes

I never meant for my blog to become a seriers of links or a rant about our government and the recent disaster but I just can't let it go. The problem is, I remember the 9/11 emergency response and I see the discrepency in comparison to Katrina and the flood that followed and it's eating me up. I can't stop reading these things and it makes me want to scream.

  • Please just read Kevin Drum's Article I can't even bring myself to summerize it I am so appaled.
  • Here's some video clips that should be seen Crooks and Liars
  • Bush: Katrina "a mess," but Lott's house is gonna be AWESOME
  • Senator Landrieu - "Flying over this critical spot again this morning, less than 24 hours later, it became apparent that yesterday we witnessed a hastily prepared stage set for a Presidential photo opportunity; and the desperately needed resources we saw were this morning reduced to a single, lonely piece of equipment."
  • The Hurrican Survivors are not Refugees. Refugee: Noun An exile who flees for safety. Under international law, a refugee is a person who is outside his/her country of nationality or habitual residence; has a well-founded fear of persecution because of his/her race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion; and is unable or unwilling to avail himself/herself of the protection of that country, or to return there, for fear of persecution. They are subgroup of the broader category of displaced persons. They are distinguished from economic.
  • Finding food does not become looting just because one's skin is brown.
  • If the camera can get there so can help.
  • "I'm sick of the press conferences. For God sakes, shut up and send us somebody." - Aaron Broussard, September 4th 2005 on Meet the Press
  • "Acess to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders. The state Homeland Security Department had requested--and continues to request--that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane." From the Red Cross' Website TODAY
  • From Daily KOS "Now we have another of those extremely rare moments of perfect national clarity. Only this time the theme of the day is they screwed up big time. Four years in which they've done nothing but talk about being prepared for an emergency. Four years in which they've spent huge amounts of money, reshaped the government, eroded rights, suspended laws, broken treaties, and expended blood like it was free, and what do we have to show for it? Rats eating old women in the street, that's what we have."





2 comments:

Patsy Terrell said...

I didn't mean for my blog to become nothing but a rant and links either, but that's pretty much what it has been the last week. Everytime I try to post something "normal" it just seems trite. I can't find the balance.

Jenny said...

I've just decided to post a couple of links each day underneath my usual blathering