Jun 25, 2009

Putting the Legs to Rest

I have not been roller skating. I'm waiting, Houston Roller Derby try outs are in August. In the mean time I had been moving boxes of things and going to bed sore and tired every day up until this week. So a few nights ago I did something I'd never done before, I went to the gym. The first day I walked two miles uphill and felt tired but didn't sweat as much as when I skate and to my disappointment only burned 200 calories. The stupid machine keeps track of it for me and I wish it didn't, I'd be happier if I didn't know. I don't even really care, but now I have the information and feel like I should be doing something with it, charting it or subtracting it from some magical daily number of caloric intake that I make up in my head because I don't even want to know what 4 honey covered waffles and a beer add up to.

In an effort to make my lungs feel like they are on fire, like when I skate, I tried a different contraption last night, the one where your arms and legs are going at the same time. This time the machine was keeping track of my heart rate to make sure I wasn't slacking or letting go of the handles to itch my nose or change the TV channel (and what DO people watch when they are on these things?) Right away it told me to slow down so I didn't keel over, but instead I imagined I was on the skate floor and did three miles in thirty minutes - ROAR! For the first time in weeks I didn't have crazy legs in bed last night.

1 comment:

DD Hunter said...

Must be nice. I am not allowed to do anything strenuous with my legs. I have been contenting my self with derby down during the pyramid drill and walking on my toes while everyone else is on their toe stops. I have also been doing grapevines off skates. Hopefully soon I will be able to at least skate on the outside of the track.