Jun 4, 2007

Have you ever thought of tweezing those?

So last Thursday I finally went and got new contacts. Upon putting them in my eyes, I discovered two mangy caterpillars had taken up residence on my forehead and were calling themselves my eyebrows. I asked my husband why he let me walk around like that and he replied “I never even noticed” I asked my friend Boom Boom and she said “Some people like ‘em bushy, besides how do you tell someone that?” It’s a good question, how do you tell someone their brows are out of control? I used to hang out with this lady that worked at a salon and sometimes she’d say things like “I’d give anything to get a hold of her brows and give ‘em a good yank.” Then I would immediately ask her if mine were even. She always said they were. Well, as you can imagine she hasn’t seen me in a while and even if she had who knows if she’s been telling other people that she’d like to give my forehead a good yanking.

I’ve been fixated on brows now for a few days and they’re kinda funny. Some people let them poke straight out and say ‘hi’ to you and some people take them off all together and then draw them back on. When we were kids, my cousin’s Grandma used to shave hers off and draw them back on in purple or red depending on her mood and outfit. She was old and sometimes they’d be too high and she’d look surprised all day and sometimes they’d be off slightly and then she’d just look like she was almost winking. They always had an exaggerated arc like a clown and the color never helped deter that image. It made me afraid to over tweeze. So I do like to keep mine a little bushy just so I don’t have to draw them back on but please, someone tell me if I start to resemble the wolf lady of Browsville, my contacts could be getting cruddy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny,
That is so funny and timely this end. I am going away with four of my friends overnight on Wednesday (first time since Alex was born) and I was just saying to Chris this morning that I need to tackle my eyebrows. Yes, the word 'tackle' is appropriate. I looked in mirror and realized they were a disgrace. So don't feel like you are alone.

I think it is being a mother that does it. We are all so caught up in the day to day stuff that things like eyebrows go by the way side.

That said I am sure yours weren't as bad as you think. Remember you are looking directly in the mirror and focusing in on one thing. Everyone else is seeing the big picture. Now just don't get me started on my stretch marks!!
Take care, Olivia

BoomBoom said...

You do realize that everyone who reads this blog is not going to be able to keep their eyes off your eyebrows from now on.

Paula said...

Jenny,
My mother has been telling me for years to get my eyebrows (or eyebrow) under control.
When I worked at the spa the lady in the makeup would walk by my office an just say, "It is time to come downstairs", which meant come get your eyebrows waxed.

Since moving to North Carolina in the two years, I have only done them twice and my husband is like when are you getting those done? As if his are any better? I am sure yours did not look bad.

When it becomes a unibrow most people will make comments.

Jo said...

My hubby never notices. Mine get rather out of control too. I much prefer you keep them a bit bushy than draw them on all yellow or orange. That, I think would not be your best look. And all the people who have to look at you, thank you also.