Mar 31, 2007

Neck

We went to the grand opening of the remodeled Rockford Art Museum last night. The show that opened it all was HE & SHE. It was quite an interesting show and the artists were on hand to answer questions and sign books. Dan and I ran into a new friend of mine and spent the bulk of the evening discussing the art and hunting down the ladies that were circulating the spectacular hors d'oeuvres. If you are ever wondering what to wear to one of these functions be assured if you wear the quintessential fancy necklace you are allowed to wear really whatever you like as long as it’s black. I wore my favorite giant glass piece, ice blue and silver with an Egyptian feel to it around my gullet. My friend wore a single sparkly flower on an invisible string. We saw giant wooden beads in graduated sizes and intricate metal and bead pieces weaved into a complex neck sculpture. I saw carved wooden dogs next to mud globs hanging from leather and giant smooth round red plastic orbs floating from one lady’s neck all the way to her waist I think I even saw painted mostaccioli noodles on yarn. Each woman's necklace screamed “I have an opinion!” The only woman I saw the entire evening who wasn’t wearing her statement around her craw was the artist (SHE).

2 comments:

noncommon said...

interesting observation.
i think necklaces are a "have-to" for any (performing) art gathering.
i don't wear necklaces really. although i do have a rather groovy collection of vintage ones - shells, plastics, shiny.
lately, i have been wearing the Roxy necklace i, ummm, i mean santa got me for christmas.
i kinda like it a little for some unknown reason.
and Roxy has been wearing her "pretty" a lot lately too. it's a cupcake.

Jo said...

I am not big into jewelry, so I would have worn my standard Black Hills gold necklace. The gallery sounds awesome.