Apr 3, 2007

Who Are You?

It’s not uncommon for us to wake up to an imaginary guest in the house and only Ella knows who it is. Ella will play for hours with her friends Cinderella, Oobie, Baby Dinosaur and whomever else may have wandered in from the menagerie that day. I find it all a little uncomfortable, but I grew up with two little brothers and cousins galore. There were always kids squiggling around and getting into mischief with me. Dan grew up the youngest by 10 years and had lots of imaginary friends including, according to his mother, another family in Florida whom he would threaten to go live with if she didn’t treat him better. Dan thinks it’s all just fine. I keep talking about pretend and real with Ella but sometimes it's not even Ella I'm talking to anymore. She'll exclaim "I'm just Theresa right now Mom and I have on a crown and a stripey dress and I have a cow that follows me everywhere because he's my best friend." Maybe she’ll be a writer.

This morning:


Look mom I have a baby dinosaur. She’s very hungry

What do baby dinosaurs eat?

Spaghetti O’s but sometimes she likes oranges better than Spaghetti O’s.

Would you and your baby dinosaur like me to peel an orange for you?

That’d be fantastic, my baby dinosaur will wait on my shoulder for you to peel it.

No comments: