Apr 23, 2007

Doing the right thing is hardly ever easy

I’ve been removed from the Rockford Rage Roller Derby League. If you planned on going to see me skate or to support my team, I will not be there.

On April 11th 2007 three days before our last bout at the ISC I received an e-mail from a nice student film maker asking if she could meet with our team. She wanted to do a five minute documentary about the Demolition Dolls. I forwarded the e-mail to my captain and I called SR a corporate director to see what she thought. SR said it sounded fun and I called the student film maker back and told her where the next public practice was. She said she wanted to come and talk to the team.

I went to practice, I saw the film maker, some of my team mates overheard the conversation we were having and got excited about the idea of a documentary about us. She wanted an answer about filming soon so she could get a camera on loan form her school for the bout. I asked if we could get four skater board members together right there at practice and get an ‘ok’. The four came together and decided it would be ok as long as she didn’t get in the way or create confusion. The next morning I awoke to a message from the president of the league stating the filming would not happen because no one called her and she hadn’t seen any paperwork.

I have always operated under the understanding that four votes (of seven) from the skater board made something acceptable and so I asked the president of the league what gave her the power to just override four votes. I was told “Because I own the league and I am liable because my name is on the business license” I filed it away in my brain until the bout was over but not without telling the President of the League I thought that was terrible. I brought it up the next day at the end of the Sunday meeting after the bout. I waited until the meeting was over because I didn’t want to raise alarm or rumor about the not for profit status of the league. I stayed after that night for three hours asking questions of SR. There were other skaters present for parts of the conversation. I was told the President, Secretary and the Treasurer have their names on the business license and so they have final say on any and all corporate matters. The “Skater Board” positions are what the skaters actually vote for hold only influence but no real power. The skater board decisions can be overturned by the corporate directors at anytime.

This didn’t sit well with me. I’ve been paying dues thinking it gave me a voice - my vote. I went on to ask if the directors paid themselves and was told no. I asked if they could vote to pay themselves and was told yes, I asked what stops the three from splitting the money currently in the bank account three ways for compensation of their efforts in forming the league and dissolving it all tomorrow and the response was “You just have to trust us.” When I asked what happens to the position if someone wants to quit, moves or passes away. I was told that the director can sell those shares or even will them to a family member. To say I was alarmed is an understatement. My mouth was agape during this conversation and I commented several times “Really?” And “You have to TELL people this, we need to have a league meeting to explain this to people” I went home and couldn’t sleep. I called my captain the next morning and expressed my concerns; I talked to a few other skaters who had mentioned the same kinds of questions to me. We got together and decided we needed to fully understand how the vote and who is chosen for the corporate board works as well as who has the authority to spend the money of the league.

Tuesday I ran a fever and stayed home from practice, Wednesday wasn’t better I stayed home again, both days I talked to my captain and told her that I’d be at practice on Thursday. I called SR the Corporate Director on Wednesday to ask her for a copy of the bylaws. She didn’t call me back.

While I was home sick I learned, you cannot own a not for profit. You cannot sell shares and you cannot bestow them to a family member upon your death. Should you leave your position for any reason the voting members remaining on the board vote to fill the position. I also found that when setting up the corporate bylaws for a not for profit, the corporation must indicate the length of the term for each corporate director in the bylaws. It can be one year, five years, staggered, or even indefinite. Indefinite seemed unreasonable but fixable because two thirds of the voting body can change the bylaws by vote, making it possible to change the term of the directors from forever to limited. I needed to see the bylaws to clearly understand how it all worked. On Thursday at practice I asked for a copy of them was told by SR she would have to check with the other two corporate directors to see who might have a copy but they are public record. Then SR said this:

“You’re gonna be a little surprised though…”

I replied “Oh, why?”

SR informed me that the only members of the league listed as “members” when they filed with the state were the three also currently listed as corporate directors. I clarified by asking her if that meant they were the only three voting members of the Rockford Rage. She agreed that they were the only three voting members of the corporate board; (meaning they can just keep electing each other.) She added we all have a vote when it comes time to vote for the skater board and they always pay careful attention to the skater board opinions. I asked if we would be added as voting members before the July elections and was told they had never planned on it because changing the names on the business license with the state all the time was hard and with skater turn over it would be really hard and besides who would really want all that liability. My heart sank and despite the fact that my husband and I were invited to attend a “skater appreciation dinner” paid for by the league, last month where a big speech was made and we were all told what a boon to the league we were and how “it all never could’ve all happened without us” I knew I was now at the mercy of the corporate board. I again encouraged SR to inform people in a league meeting what she had just told me and I added sooner was better than later.

On Friday, I e-mailed a request for the corporate bylaws to the three board members the President, the Secretary and the Treasurer. On Saturday April 21st 2007 I was removed from the league via a phone call with the three corporate board members on one end and me on the other, for the following reasons

Not meeting the May marketing deadline

Not updating the website timely manor

Not passing on business contacts to the corporate board

I can address each one of these and explain to you how the accusations have no merit, however, it really wouldn’t matter; the prosecutor, judges and jury are all the same people; the three corporate directors and the trial happened behind closed doors without me present. Besides, I don’t think it’s really my burden. In a democracy people are innocent first.

The thing is, we all worked so very hard putting time, money and boundless effort into the league thinking we were working for our fellow skaters all the time not knowing about the unchecked power of the three corporate board members. All the time listening to them tout “By the Skaters for the Skaters” What I had my eyes opened to this week broke my heart. I feel totally exploited and lied to. I feel misled about the original intent of how the league would run. I feel used and deceived. I’ve spent hours and hours a day working on marketing for the league. I’ve spent my own money on derby projects and my whole family and many friends have invested time, money and emotions in this league. I would like to add that I only agreed to take the marketing Director position after the corporate board fired the last person and begged me to salvage what was left behind. I had been doing the marketing for a total of two months.

I paid dues to be treated like this and was thrown away without due process.

This has astonished me and the more I thought about it the more I decided telling my story out in the open was a good thing, especially in light of the accusations of collusion surrounding my departure and the possible blame that may be laid at my feet should the league fall to pieces. Normally I don’t air my troubles to the internet (its true look back over two years of mostly happy posts) yet, today I am. It’s important for me to tell my friends and family what happened and why I no longer skate for the Rockford Rage Women’s Roller Derby.

The good news is I’m back to blogging. I have all kinds of time now. I just am not sure what to do with the non-refundable plane ticket to Roller Con/Las Vegas I bought for the middle of August.

46 comments:

Jessi Louise said...

Sorry to hear about this. How shocking and disappointing!

Jenny said...

Thank you. It is very shocking and disappointing.

BoomBoom said...

I would type up my opinion here, but it would only involve lots of swearing and name calling of those who like to throw around the title of "sisters".

As a fan, I will no longer line the pockets of these three dishonest women...and encourage everyone I know to do the same.

BoomBoom said...

Where is your "sisterly" support here Jen? At a minimum it should be coming from all of the ladies who were at your dinner table less than a week ago joining in your chorus of disbelief over the current state of the union. It's easy to bitch when you are sitting at a table of like minded people...the real test is to see who will do the same bitching when those they bitch about are sitting right across from them. If you aren't willing to speak out and stand behind you opinion at all times, your opinion means shit and you should keep it to yourself.

Anonymous said...

I for one will not attend another bout or purchase any Rage merch until something changes! This is not what this league is about. Money is the root of all evil and aparently you can't have a "not for profit" organization at all!
This is outrageous and if things do not change I hope these greedy, secretive and power hungry bitches go down with the ship! Losing all the "Profits" as well!
I'm with ya Bombadee 100% infinity!

BoomBoom said...

As a fan, I was under the impression bout profits went to the organization or person they advertized to be their beneficiary. After reading the small print, I discovered only 15% of money (after expenses) goes to the charity of choice. Where does the other 85% go?

Unknown said...

Jenny really sorry to hear about your troubles. I have enjoyed reading your posts because you were so enthusiastic about the whole thing. Your passion for the sport was infectious. It really is their loss. If that is how they treat someone who has helped them out well ultimately they are doomed. Utter madness. Take care, Olivia

Jenny said...

Thank You Olivia. I think none of this will stop me from going roller skating. I really still love the sport and I can go watch Roller Derby in Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison as often as I like.

Jenny said...

Tater Tot that 85% probably goes to run the league. We have to rent the ISC and pay for insurance and well stuff like that, but I really couldn't say what amount goes where.

BoomBoom said...

Not that I don't want to trust these three ladies with that 85% but they have refused all requests to show where it has went. Are the skaters of this league really so naive to believe that is it a coincidence that Bombadee (and others from what I have heard) was kicked off within days of requesting this information. Sure, they are having a meeting next week to "show all of the information". Plenty of time to put together what it is they want people to see. Don't be blind here ladies.

If I were a member, paying my dues, putting on a show for paying customers, I would expect to see in writing where every dime went. That explains why I would never be a member. These ladies have shown nothing but unprofessional, inappropriate practices and weild their power at will. But I suppose they have every right to as the sole owners of the Rockford Rage.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you just got PIMPED!

noncommon said...

pure crap!
i'm so sorry all that junk has happened.
prime example of you being the smartest one in the bunch, obviously.
not to slam the others, but when you get the boot for asking the right questions - do the math.
i think you have some info to make public.

Anonymous said...

You can and should still go to Rollercon! Why the hell not??? Even if you don't want to attend the convention, go gamble and see Celine Dion! hahah! :)

BoomBoom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh...don't worry...she's going to
Rollercon.

Jenny said...

I was just thinking, I still have my USARS insurance and I can still make my minimums requirements - why not?

Jenny said...

PIMPED - yeah, it sure feels something like that.

Anonymous said...

If you are passionate about your sport, maybe you could convince the rest of the leaque and all the teams to join you. You apply for a state license, hire a good business lawyer to help you file incorporation papers for a non-profit organization, and pull the league out from under the three directors that run it now. Set up bylaws and have every thing done by either a simple majority vote of all members or by a board of directors voted on by the new league you just formed. The names may change , but the players remain the same. Lots of work? Yes indeed, but the end result would be worth it in the end. What ever you decide just know that you were screwed over big time.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, Jenny. I am so sorry. That's truly horrible. Go get 'em if you can. Expose them for the frauds that they are. And find yourself another team. :-)

Jenny said...

Thanks Arizona. Right now I am wondering how many skaters care or even realize what is actually up with the league. Sometimes is easier to keep your head in the sand. (Although with your head in the sand you never know when someone is going to bite you in the ass.)

I just hope my sister skaters remember how reliable and honest I am. I was a Co-Captain who was known for always saying

"Lead by example."

and

"If I say I'll do it, I will."

Anonymous said...

Then by all means lead by example and just do it. If your fellow skaters know the type of person you are and respect who you are, my guess is that they will all line up behind you if you form a new league. Set up a meeting with all your sister skaters in the league and tell them all that you do know about the league as it is ran now, and how you would like to see it ran to benefit all who love to skate and your fans as well. There is strength in numbers and perhaps others out there with contacts that may help put a new league together. Now take your head out of the sand and YOU GO GIRL! Are you a bad ass roller derby woman? If you are, then don't just talk the talk, WALK THE WALK!

BoomBoom said...

One thing this league, or a new league, needs is a Corrective Action policy that cleary states infractions and their corresponding diciplinary action. Having heard, from skaters other than Bombadee, how this league has been run is a joke. Dues paying skaters have been kicked off at will by the owners with no opportunity for recourse. For infractions such as "promiscuity" from what I heard. Can you image..."Sorry, you can't be on our Roller Derby league because you're a slut".

How many of you have heard of a (supposed) charitable organization where the volunteers pay money to volunteer and are kicked out at will by the organization's owners? Not only that, but the "owners" of this (supposed) charitable organization have a BLACKLIST of ladies they won't even let pay monety to volunteer, for whatever reason. Is this a sorority house or a Non-For-Profit association? Oh wait, that's right...it's an owned organization by three people who get unsuspecting, unaware women to pay money and volunteer their time.

The best way it was explained to me is like this...it's as if these three women own the YMCA. You pay money to be member and swim in the pool. Not only that, but you do all of the advertising, pool cleaning and setup. Then these three owners charge the public admission to come in and watch you swim, and do whatever they want with the money.

How can anyone continue to skate for the Rockford Rage in good conscience, in its current state? Why haven't the rest of these skaters joined Jenny in asking for a change? If it's okay to remove her (a dues paying member of good standing) from the league for something that has nothing to do with her skating, what's to stop them from doing the same to anyone who dares to question their authority? NOTHING...THEY OWN IT! They can do whatever they want, whenever they want. I think most of the skaters don't care, all they want to do is skate...but come on here ladies. Don't you feel the least bit exploited?

This league is not what it represents itself to be to our community and I for one will not let that go until the community is made aware.

Chrissy said...

I am so sorry to read about this! I can relate on a smaller scale - I have realized some truths about my own league lately which aren't as pretty as I'd prefer - but nothing as drastic or disturbing as this. I can't imagine what losing your league is like. Even if you've been betrayed by your derby sisters at home, maybe thinking about all the derby sisters who would support and welcome you might make you feel an eensy bit better.

Man, it's times like these you really want to strap on your skates and knock somebody over. The universe has an ironic sense of humor.

Be well! Stay strong!

BoomBoom said...

I'm with your Chrissy. Bombadee should not hang up her skates yet, she loves this sport too much and has so much to offer a league.

I even told her I would skate with her anywhere, anytime...just not for the Rage until they make some much needed changes. Why anyone would pay for that abuse is beyond me. Hopefully you will be seeing us both on a flat track soon.

Jo said...

I am so sorry Jenny! You have loved and enjoyed this so much and now this! I am sure you can report these grievous problems to the state agency that provides oversight for non profits. This just needs to stop. Grrr, I am just angry for you!

Anonymous said...

Jenny, I assure you that we do care. I have let my feelings be known, as have others. You'd be surprised though to know who supports you and who acts like they aren't even bothered. That's probably all I should say for now. :)

Jenny said...

Thank you Lisa, I know, I've gotten a ton of e-mails over the last couple of days. I heard there's a big league wide meeting on Sunday, I'll be curious to hear what happens.

Jenny said...

Thank you Jo, for the sympathy outrage.

Thank you Chrissy. I'll be strapping on my skates again soon no matter what.

Nancy, it starts here.

and AZ you just stay tuned, perhaps the league will make some changes soon. (I hope)

Paula said...

Jenny,
I have been thinking about this since I read your blog on Monday, and it is just so outrageous. I know how happy an excited you were when you began this venture and to be treated so badly for something you put your heart and soul into is just so wrong. I wish you the best and know you will still skate even if it is a new league or the old one with new leadership. Stephen and I are thinking about you an wish you the best.

Anonymous said...

lol - Jenny you are the master manipulatior. "shakes head"

Jenny said...

Nice comment ANONYMOUS.

Chrissy said...

didn't you know? "anonymous" is internet slang for coward.

hmph.

Anonymous said...

i know there are people who would follow you if you started another league. i would follow you - it's disturbing to think the person that's running this has never skated, or so i've heard. if you started a league - by the skaters, for the skaters, with transparency and all the things you think we should have - you would not want for skaters. and by the way, the bylaws and financial record are going to be made public sunday night - giving them a week to come up with them and cook the books as needed. i'm only signing this anonymous because i don't have a blogger account.

Anonymous said...

I would follow you too...and I know many others would as well. The problem is this.....many of these girls have put their time, sweat and heart into this sport, just like you have. Many try to rationalize with themselves that they can seperate the politics of the sport they love, try to ignore what is happening around them and hope that it will go away and not affect them personally.

However, how can people move on with a clear conscious, knowing the wrongs that have been done by "the board" to our so called "sisters". Don't you realize the next person could be you? Everyone knows it, yet everyone is scared to come together and take a stand b/c "I just want to skate"..."I have put a lot of time into this"..."Fuck Becca and Sheila...I have fun with my friends..they can do whatever they do".."It will take so long to start up a new league....it will be a long time before we can actually bout again".

I ponder all of these statements.......but still know that if we all actually united..we could accomplish SO MUCH. And wouldn't it be better in the long run? Yes, Becca, Sheila and Danielle did ALOT of hard work to get the Rage started and did a great job. However, their management skills are poor to say the least. (Sorry Danielle, I personally like you and you appear to be the only one who can be rational) A good manager knows what her weaknesses are and allows others to step up where she is weak. A good manager does not belittle and demean all of her volunteers every time she's mad. When something goes wrong...she blames everything and everyone else...because she is the victim. I'm sorry, but claiming that you can't watch the Care Bears with your kids, attend your son's birthday party, maintain a full time job and are forced to quit SCHOOL because you are slaves to this league is absolutely the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Obviously, your priorities are way out of whack....and I feel terribly sorry for you. Isn't derby about being a strong woman that can do anything she wants?

This league is full of intelligent women who come from a diverse background, with all different careers, education and family styles. We have all come together for the love of derby and have made friendships that will last a lifetime. Girls are terrified of this ending...Bombadee you must understand that. I just wish people could realize the power, we as skaters have if we stick together and demand change. Without US there is no BOARD! Without US there is no LEAGUE! This is not how the league HAS to run. This is not how volunteers and good hearted people who want to help the community have to be treated!!!

The board requested the teams turn in questions ahead of time so they could "prepare" for the league meeting Sunday. What do you have to "prepare" for if everything is legit? Or have you been feverishly doctoring the books and paperwork so as to appear everything is in order. If this was a legit non for profit, we would be able to ask questions of any of you, at any time, and get the correct and SAME answer. You really should have gotten together more on how you should respond to certain things, because you just appear ignorant when you all say something different.

If you were over your head, that's ok, if you made mistakes, that's ok too. We are all human and this is a new league....but the simple fact that you lie, decieve and then try to cover it up proves you lack the integrity it takes to be a successful leader. This league will fall apart on its own if things don't change.

Like many, I too, am waiting to hear the infinite wisdom of the board. I will keep an open mind, I am intelligent enough to be able to listen to both sides, gather the facts, put personal feelings aside and come to a conclusion on my own....one that I can LIVE with and be proud of.

Signed....
Current Rockford Rage member too ashamed to sign my name...for now.

Anonymous said...

"Current Rockford Rage member too ashamed to sign" her name:

To this statement "Girls are terrified of this ending...Bombadee you must understand that." I would like to say this. Yes, Jenny understands that. It ENDED for her.

She, above all, understands that.

Anonymous said...

To the comment above...about my statement. You are absolutely right!

Jenny said...

And now all of you bloggies know why I love my sister skaters.

Anonymous said...

OK I DO want to add that B WAS skating in the beginning (YOU KNOW THIS Bombadee!). However, it wasn't very far into our first practices that she became pregnant. Now, the last I knew, it does take 9 months to have a baby. I know she intends to skate again as soon as is rationally possible. Everyone has is entitled to speak their opinion, but please don't talk about things that you don't know are facts. Thanks!

BoomBoom said...

Lisa P., I was cracking up when I read "but please don't talk about things that you don't know are facts." It totally reminded me of Dragnet. You should get a t-shirt that says:

My name is Lisa P. I'm a derby girl. Just the facts, ma'am.

Anonymous said...

Lisa P.,
I don't think Bombadee ever said Becca didn't skate. The FACT is, that was posted by someone else. Is this the only comment you could find in 39 posts about the Rage that you could dispute? That says ALOT! Ok, the President skates...the president could be one hell of a skater...does that make any difference in the situation the Rage finds itself in? Does it excuse her behavior of how she handles affairs and treats volunteers?

Lets try to focus on what ACTUALLY matters.

Jenny said...

Yes, that is true - B is pregnant and that is a really good reason not to skate. She did before she was pregnant and I think she plans to again (but I would say she gets to heal up as long as she likes before that - I can't imagine birthing a baby and then getting on skates a month later UG.)

Anonymous said...

Wow
I am so sorry that this has happened to you Jenny

I can only think that there is a "reason" for this, that things happen for a reason. Oh, yeah, and karma is a bitch (on wheels) I've heard.

Anonymous said...

HAHAH And if you re-read this, you'll see that I never said that Bombadee said it. Only that she didn't correct the person that did. Nope, I could make comments about other things, Hmmm, in fact, I believe I did. However, SOME things I will NOT comment on publicly. And by the way, who the hell ARE you? Someone I skate with I'm asssuming. Why don't you sign your name? Notice I don't have a problem doing that! ANYWAYS, my POINT WAS that not everyone has their facts straight. And it's not nice to take cheap shots. :)

Anonymous said...

I have only read your post, and not the accompanying comments, so I apologize if I am repeating something that has been said a million times already.

I'm sorry this happened, as it was obvious to me that you put a lot of hard work, dedication, and passion into this team. My friends and coworkers that saw you skate had nothing but good things to say, and I'm sorry that I wasted my opportunity to see you.

Your thread title, of course, made me think of a million different times that you and I have disagreed over the definition of "the right thing", but I hope that you won't discount my sincere comments here because of those times.

I am truly, truly sorry that you had this experience. Those projects that will now get your time, dedication and passion from this point forward are the lucky beneficiaries of this turn of events.

Anonymous said...

Its a pity pool. It really is. When something goes wrong or goes in a direction in which you do not agree with, don't blame it on someone else. How dare you try to make a point that the owners, and those involved with the Rage are bad people. There are many good people involved. To me its "yeah, I'm your friend til something goes wrong, or I get the boot." Then it turns into backstabbing because they're not jumping ship and sticking through the "not so good times" which are rare.

You have an idea of how the finances work. I know this. Plus the old website was HORRIBLE, in my opinion. and so were the programs.

When it comes to you getting kicked out, instead of being quiet and doing your own thing, trying to start your own league, you slander the Rockford Rage, mainly telling people a bunch of rubish and straight up lies. Its disgusting. "They're bad people. It's this. It's that." They say word of mouth is the FASTEST means of communication, but believe when I say this, the media base behind the Rage is strong. Its going to take a lot for the REAL derby to fail.

Jenny said...

Anonymous said...
Its a pity pool. It really is. When something goes wrong or goes in a direction in which you do not agree with, don't blame it on someone else.

J: Well, I didn’t kick myself out of the league, so who's fault is it?! duh!

Anonymous said...
How dare you try to make a point that the owners, and those involved with the Rage are bad people.

J: Where in that whole post did I say anyone was a bad person? If you read what I wrote and you think they’re bad people, then that’s a conclusion you’ve come to on your own.

Anonymous said...
There are many good people involved. To me its "yeah, I'm your friend til something goes wrong, or I get the boot."

J: You have no idea who my friends still are do you?

Anonymous said...
Then it turns into backstabbing because they're not jumping ship and sticking through the "not so good times" which are rare.

J: Don’t make me laugh – I was a part of that league for 8 months, I know what it’s like. But I’m glad you’re having fun seeing as that’s kinda the whole point right?

Anonymous said...
You have an idea of how the finances work. I know this.

J: Finances are not really the point here they are just a symptom of a greater problem, the greater problem being power and how it’s wielded. Did you even read the post?

Anonymous said...
Plus the old website was HORRIBLE, in my opinion. and so were the programs.

J: Be careful who you insult, some of the programs and the website were worked on and written by the ladies you skate next to now. They work long and hard on that stuff for you.

Anonymous said...
When it comes to you getting kicked out, instead of being quiet and doing your own thing, trying to start your own league, you slander the Rockford Rage, mainly telling people a bunch of rubish and straight up lies.

J: First of all, the truth is never slander. And second, you can bet your ass that anytime I think something is corrupt or immoral I’m going to stand up and tell everyone I know about it, have you even ever met me? Hi I’m Jenny, I stand up for what I think is right on a daily basis.

Anonymous said...
Its disgusting. "They're bad people. It's this. It's that."

J: Again, I’ve never said these people are ‘bad people’. If you read what I wrote and you think they’re bad people, then that’s a conclusion you’ve come to on your own.

Anonymous said...
They say word of mouth is the FASTEST means of communication, but believe when I say this, the media base behind the Rage is strong.

J: Ok? I’m not sure what you are trying to say here. But, I will tell you this, I could give a rat’s ass about being a famous derby girl, I just want to skate. So you can be in front of all the cameras you like and talk to all the reporters you want, I will have the wind rushing past me as I round turn three and jam past that inside blocker without her noticing.

Anonymous said...
Its going to take a lot for the REAL derby to fail.

J: What do you mean by ‘real’ derby? Don’t both leagues go fast turn left and knock each other down while doing it? I don’t understand your insinuation, perhaps you could enlighten me about what sport it is that I play when I am hip checking my sister skaters into the bleachers.

J: Anonymous, why are you commenting on a thread over a month old now? bothered much?

and why do you have post anonymously?