Mar 6, 2007

Once Upon a Time

Ella has been all about acting out children's stories as of late. Today we have spent most of the day playing what she calls "The Three Milly Goats Gruff" We've been trip-tropping across the bridge of one very crabby, very hungry and tired troll promising a juicier, yummier big brother to follow. A bigger brother the crabby troll would love to eat way more than the milly-goat standing on the bridge talking to the crabby troll. This is the first story Ella has heard that involves explicit and graphic mortal danger for the characters and she relishes it. She practically rolls in it, she yells out "I'm gonna eat you up!" with a special sort of wildness that Jo over at Tangled Me calls "bad fun".


Just so you know, I do leave this bit from the original out when I tell it
"Well, come along!
I've got two spears,
And I'll poke your eyeballs out at your ears;
I've got besides two curling-stones,
And I'll crush you to bits, body and bones."

2 comments:

Lynne@Oberon said...

Oh my God! I had to play along to the Three Billy Goat's Gruff for EVER while Miss E was in the bath. My leg on the side of the bath HAD to be the bridge and the bath toys were the billy goats and the facewasher was the troll that ate them up. I used to get very wet.

TBGG seems to be a stage of child development ;)

Jo said...

When my kidlets were small, (a million years ago) we had a large coffee table that was the bridge. Bald Man was the troll and we had plenty of kids for ALL the "Milly" goats and it was a beloved game. You make me miss my little people. Good thing I have more grand kids on the way. Can't wait to do it again!