Nov 4, 2008

Making History

I'm all full of nervous excitement today. I haven't voted yet, but I will be shortly after lunch. Ella will go with me and I'll have to explain that she can't walk around the polling place talking about why she likes and doesn't like each candidate. I wonder if there will be a line, usually there isn't, but you never know. In the next city over there have been lines for early voting since last week. I've CNN dialed into my phone so I can get updates whever I am tonight, and I'll be putting my local races in my little phone as well. Yes, I am close enough to Chicago to have taken the train in and been in Grant Park tonight and I really considered it, Ella and Dan and I standing in the City on the edge of Lake Michigan with thousands of fellow Americans, under the stars, watching history unfold live but... lots of walking through crowds late at night on a chilly autumn evening is no place for a 4 year old. My pal Jane is going and I'll get to see it through her eyes. We will remember this night well enough watching from the giant party at the UAW Hall downtown in the next city over with throngs of people we know and lots of them who are predicted to win local seats themselves. I also want to remind everyone (accept Mike) to get out and vote today.

4 comments:

DD Hunter said...

I got up early today so I could vote before I went to work. I have never seen so many people at our local polling place. In the past I have only ever witnessed 2 or 3 other voting alongside me. Today there was a line, all the booths were full and people were still coming in the door.

Jo said...

Done! We went at 8, so we didn't have to wait in line. I don't think I have ever been this excited or scared about an election before. I put a cool widget on my blog to track the votes.

Debbie said...

I waited until after lunch to vote and got right in. Bill had to go before work and it was crazy then.

Mike Lyons said...

I'm sorry, but I voted and worked half an hour before you wrote your blog.

I was very excited to vote for Ron White. I mean, RON WHITE! That's good stuff.