Nov 5, 2008

Come Hope, Sit! Now Stay.

Yay for yesterday. Yay for knowing that the majority of the people in the United States agree with me and I no longer have to walk around wondering if I am really so far out there for feeling so passionately about sharing our crayons/food/blessings/burden/etc. Jane put it perfectly when she said:

"...My faith is in people, in humanity. When you go as long as I have, steadily losing faith in humanity, the hopelessness and desperation permeates everything. To spend so much time watching the world, wondering if you're the only person feeling this way, it makes a person grow unreasonably pessimistic.

But the flip side of the coin is that when the bulk of the faith in your life is invested in your fellow humans, moments like last night, like this election as a whole, are ten times more meaningful. Because while I stood in the midst of those 65,000 people, or 240,000 people, or 1 million people, or whatever they are reporting the attendance at now, I felt saved. I felt re-born. It's not that I believe Obama is my savior, it's more that I finally believe in my fellow man again."

I'm looking forward to what we will do with the momentum. Will President Obama ask us to recycle, conserve, ration, volunteer? I'm sure it won't be as fun as the last request... "shop", but more involved than "be on orange terrorist alert" forever and remember once upon a time when we were told "buy duct tape and plastic?" Whatever it is I'm ready.

PS I think the Obamas should name their new puppy Hope. How about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your title cracked me up, seriously.

I think it will be along the lines of recycle, conserve, volunteer. And I look forward to it.

Jo said...

I love it! Praying hope stays, it has been a long time since I felt like my hope had wings again. My faith in humanity is renewed, and I feel like maybe we as American's are ready to step into a global community.