Jul 20, 2007

idiots

I read in the Rockford Register Star, about a very nice family trying to open a drive in theatre just behind the Old Ghost Town. I spoke with the wife last month and she expressed to me that they run a family business and plan to play family movies. I was very excited. I imagined packing my family into the van with blankets and stuffed animals ready for a double feature. I imagined the kids catching fireflies while neighbors caught up with each other standing in line for snacks before the new Disney movie started. I imagined my daughter sitting in the seat next to me munching popcorn and sipping coke with her head on my shoulder and her feet in her Dad’s lap while she drifted off to sleep with cartoon hotdogs and candy dancing across the screen beckoning us to buy more snacks. I imagined my daughter sleeping in the back seat while my husband and I cuddled up in the front to watch the second feature. Best of all I imagined a five minute drive home. Can you imagine a night out with the family for under $50.00 right in our own backyard? Our county board can’t.

God forbid something fun not be located out on East State Street. It just makes me sick to my stomach to think we LOST the opportunity for such wonderful family entertainment not to mention the sales tax from folks that may stop for ice, gas and snacks on the way to the show. I even called my board members to voice my support for the theatre. What were they thinking when they voted NO?

Voting against the drive-in theater proposal were Frank Gambino, Angie Goral, Paul Gorski, Bob Hastings, Pearl Hawks, Pete MacKay, Tom Owens, Mel Paris, Rick Pollock, Jim Webster, Mary Ann Aiello and Doug Aurand. County Board Chair Scott Christianson broke the tie vote with a "no".


Shame on you Doug Aurand, shame on you Paul Gorski. What were you thinking? You have my e-mail, tell me what were you thinking?

For more on the story you can read it in today’s RR Star letters to the editor at

http://storychat.rrstar.com/viewtopic.php?t=8176

or the story at

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007107120131

or

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007107130027

No comments: